German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Engagement/distractions training (video) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/430314-engagement-distractions-training-video.html)

boomer11 03-27-2014 10:09 PM

Engagement/distractions training (video)

After our two mile run today I decided to make a video of my 11 month pup and I just playing around distractions. It was the first nice day in a while so luckily there were people out walking. I would love some criticism of anything you see. I was working on focus and engagement around distractions and sacrificed some accuracy.

If there is one piece of advice for anyone is to work on engagement. Training your dog to do 10 different commands in the house is great but if you open the door and he runs outside and ignores you then what good is it? The dog thinks I am the most fun thing in the world. I don't happily squel for him to bring the ball back. I don't yell at him to do it either. He does it because he wants to continue playing and he knows I am the thing that makes the toy come alive. He doesn't care if it's a ball or a tug. I could take my shoe off and throw it. He just wants whatever is in my hand.

Having a dog that is engaged with you makes life easy and training fun. Having a dog that blows you off and would rather sniff grass makes life frustrating and training even more frustrating.

Btw my pup is in the prime "butt head teenage" age yet he listens the moment when told. Weird huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1TUX53Imhg

Baillif 03-27-2014 11:05 PM

You have a really nice engaged dog. Not sure why you hide the ball arms behind your back like that as it doesn't seem like he would go for it if you just held it at your side or just put it in your pocket or tuck it into your pants. He isn't hunting for it so it just seems unnecessary. He might be expending some brain power wondering what's going on behind your back too.

KathrynApril 03-27-2014 11:21 PM

Awesome! Thank you for sharing. :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Mala 03-28-2014 12:58 AM

Nice!!! My pup is at her butthead stage too and I'm halfway there getting her engaged with me like that in public. You're doing an awesome job!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

coulter 03-28-2014 06:59 PM

Wow, very nice. How do you train that kind if heeling?

wyoung2153 03-28-2014 08:09 PM

Nothing to say but very nice :) Titan enjoyed watching too.. as soon as it came on he was the most intrigued I'd ever seen him at my screen.. :)

boomer11 03-29-2014 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baillif (Post 5282706)
You have a really nice engaged dog. Not sure why you hide the ball arms behind your back like that as it doesn't seem like he would go for it if you just held it at your side or just put it in your pocket or tuck it into your pants. He isn't hunting for it so it just seems unnecessary. He might be expending some brain power wondering what's going on behind your back too.

Its just habit. I never reward with my right hand so I don't like holding it by my side. I feel rewarding with the right hand ends with the dog forging or trying to look around the body. I don't want the dog anticipating where the reward will come from.

boomer11 03-29-2014 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coulter (Post 5287121)
Wow, very nice. How do you train that kind if heeling?

Its called focused/completion heeling. Someone with more experience could probably tell you the steps to get there. With my pup I just free shaped it and marked the desire behavior. There are many ways to train something and what I did was probably taking the long scenic route.

Baillif 03-29-2014 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomer11 (Post 5291681)
Its just habit. I never reward with my right hand so I don't like holding it by my side. I feel rewarding with the right hand ends with the dog forging or trying to look around the body. I don't want the dog anticipating where the reward will come from.

I mean I get that, but if you want to show the dog a more normal picture with your hands at your side just tuck that bad boy into a hoodie pocket or something and then slight of hand magic that sucker into existence.

vprasad 03-30-2014 02:53 AM

My boy is also 11 months old and its surprising how similar they are, obedience wise at least :). I don't even need a leash to take him out anymore, but yeah I use the leash. Mostly because the people walking by can have a peace of mind :).