German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Do males and females EVER fight? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/430066-do-males-females-ever-fight.html)

ayoitzrimz 03-27-2014 10:50 AM

Do males and females EVER fight?

Oh this is probably such a stupid question but what the heck

So, will male and female dog ever fight? More specifically:

1. Unneutered male and any female
2. With strange females vs. pack mates

I am curious because my male has NEVER gotten into a fight with females. He has gotten into chest bumping scuffles with other rank seeking males but we interacted with some pretty mean females that wanted nothing to do with him and I swear he's like Pepe Le Pew with them, dancing around and asking for their attention no matter what they throw at him. Other times they are the ones following him around enjoying his presence I think. I usually remove him if he starts acting like a jerk but it rarely gets to that point

So it got me curious, will a male normally ever fight with a female? Has that ever happen to you? Who was the instigator? What was the fight about? How likely is a male and female fight to occur?

Satisfy my curiosity please

LaRen616 03-27-2014 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz (Post 5277266)
So it got me curious, will a male normally ever fight with a female? Has that ever happen to you? Who was the instigator? What was the fight about? How likely is a male and female fight to occur?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz (Post 5277266)

Satisfy my curiosity please

Yes. My friend's male and female Doberman have gotten into several fights where blood was drawn. Their fighting doesn't happen as much anymore because my friend and her boyfriend know what signs to look for and they can stop a fight before it happens. They are also not left alone together unsupervised.

Here is the thread I started about her dogs fighting and she chimmed in to tell people exactly what happens.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ale-fight.html

Lark 03-27-2014 10:58 AM

I had a male and female for years, and they did get into a fight. I always felt like the female was the instigator. She was a pretty nasty animal, and she would always seem grumpy toward my male lab (neutered). One day she was sniping at him and he really went after her. It was terrifying. My guess was that he had just had enough of her attitude through the years and snapped. He never did it after that, and they got along fine. She was nicer for a few days, then went back to her normal grumpy self.

Sarah~ 03-27-2014 11:02 AM

Eko is not neutered and 2 years old, he has gone after females, but he shows aggression to any dog besides his female packmate Xena :)

Eko was more often then not the instigator, he pulled and then growled and then started snapping. I think in his case it's just that any dog that sets him off.

When Xena was about 4-5 months old an older male pit bull attacked her over a piece of asparagus :/ He was about 1, neutered. They went after it at the same time.

hunterisgreat 03-27-2014 11:03 AM

Jäger and Katya have never fought
Jäger has sternly corrected Aska and Aska has "registered a complaint" but not actually fought

ayoitzrimz 03-27-2014 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaRen616 (Post 5277370)

Yes. My friend's male and female Doberman have gotten into several fights where blood was drawn. Their fighting doesn't happen as much anymore because my friend and her boyfriend know what signs to look for and they can stop a fight before it happens. They are also not left alone together unsupervised.

Here is the thread I started about her dogs fighting and she chimmed in to tell people exactly what happens.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ale-fight.html

Thanks for the link, I'm sure it will be informative :)

What about in social situations with dogs outside the pack? Sounds like male/female fights occur mainly within the pack. What about socially for those who let their dogs interact socially?

cshepherd9 03-27-2014 11:22 AM

My 11 yr old female HATES my mom's younger male Lab. He used to annoy her when he was a puppy and when he was about 1-2 yrs they got in a fight. Ever since, Dallas will growl at and bite him if he gets close. I don't take my dogs to my mom's anymore but if I have to we have to keep them separated.

LaRen616 03-27-2014 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz (Post 5277474)
Thanks for the link, I'm sure it will be informative :)

What about in social situations with dogs outside the pack? Sounds like male/female fights occur mainly within the pack. What about socially for those who let their dogs interact socially?

I've personally never delt with a fight, however, I did know a female Akita who killed 2 male dogs and severely mangled a 3rd male dog, none of them were her pack mates and these incidents happened at different times. She never fought with my male GSD though, she liked him and played with him so I am not sure why she killed/mangled the others.

RocketDog 03-27-2014 11:22 AM

My friend has a whackjob dal mix, really fearful and aggressive. There are times when it's unavoidable that her and Rocket have met- such as her meeting me for a hike, when she promised she wouldn't bring her but then did. *sigh*

She bites at Rocket, growls, lunges, charges, the works. Being the Don Juan that he is, he's more "Why you gotta be that way, baby?" than anything. However, he has gotten tired of her crap before and man-- he makes it fairly clear. I called him off fast though, because she didn't look like she was willing to accept it without a hard schooling.

LaRen616 03-27-2014 11:35 AM

My memory has come back! LOL

When I was younger we had a Lhaso Apso mix and we had our female GSD/Husky mix and they did fight, the female used to make puncture marks in the males head. The male was the one that started it, he would usually growl when he was eating or chewing a bone or playing with a toy and the female would go after him and win the fight everytime. :(