Do males and females EVER fight? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2014, 01:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master Member

I've had one set that had to be monitored pretty carefully when outside playing. It often escalated to the point where I had to intervene, and a few times where they had to be separated.

Rough play built to the point where one took exception, and the other refused to back down.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2014, 01:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master Member

When Xena does interact with other dogs the males usually really like her but there are some that get snippy. A weiner dog snapped in Xena's face when his owner held him in front of her, I was totally shocked she did that and we left quickly. A couple other little dogs with big attitudes have ran around her growling and barking, but Xena just sits there and watches. So I think male dogs that would fight with females that they don't know are just overall not dog friendly instead of just not liking females or a particular female. That's based on just my experience, though, I try not to get in those situations
Old 03-27-2014, 01:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

Yep. Hildy is ALWAYS on leash because she is fear aggressive towards other dogs. There is this one CRAZY unneutered male that lives in the same hallway as us - literally if I walk by the door to their apartment talking to Hildy and Hildy's leash/collar jingles, he will fly at the door and smack into it with all his weight trying to break through and get to us.

Anyway one day the girl who owns that dog had him off-leash for God knows what reason. I went out with Hildy, he saw us and was attacking her so fast I barely had a chance to react. 'Course that could be more to do with terrible genetics/breeding and the fact that his owners tried to train him with a shock collar (timing w/ corrections was awful & inconsistent from what I saw). I mean seriously he was out for blood -- he hit us so hard that he overshot Hildy and ran into my legs so forcefully that he knocked me over; I had bruises for weeks from the impact.

So yeah, some males will initiate fights with females. Guess you'd call it territorial aggression, but it could just be that the male in this instance was completely unstable, off-kilter and crazy.

One other male has snapped at Hildy when we met head-to-head on leash before we had a chance to turn our respective dogs around.
lovemygirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2014, 01:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

Wow so it seems to happen more often than I thought.

My male is like freaking Casanova around females. I had been convinced that he will put up with just about anything to get their attention. What a horndog (literally) But I guess everyone has their limits I suppose so I'm doing the right thing keeping him away from females who want nothing to do with him.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
Wow so it seems to happen more often than I thought.

My male is like freaking Casanova around females. I had been convinced that he will put up with just about anything to get their attention. What a horndog (literally) But I guess everyone has their limits I suppose so I'm doing the right thing keeping him away from females who want nothing to do with him.

This is why I affectionately call Rocket the Don Juan of dogs.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2014, 02:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Otto and Venus will play fight but if it starts to get a little more vocal and serious sounding, I back one or the other of them off. Never have a problem with this pair.

Otto and Morgan, before Otto was neutered? She tried to kill him over an empty box of chicken nuggets and the list goes on and on. Morgan and Luther too. All about Morgan, crazy bitch.

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2014, 11:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

My sister's pittie will fight any dog that she decides she doesn't like. She's worse with other female dogs but will definitely attack males; she once jumped out of a car window to attack a male Beagle that barked at her (after this my sister bought a muzzle).

She gets along okay with my dogs (both male) but I think only because she's known them since puppyhood. Otherwise I can't imagine she'd get along with Pongu.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:01 AM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Russell (intact 13 mo male) and Carly (intact 4 yrs female) have had a scuffle. Carly firmly believes that everything belongs to her, and finally decided to revoke Russell's puppy pass. Russell wasn't too happy about that. Neither one of them was backing down over some random ratty toy, so I shut it down immediately.

Carly ~ AKC Champion, GCh pointed, HIC
Sage ~ AKC Ch. pointed (13 pts - chasing that last major), HIC
Russell ~ the big boy
Mimi & Pi ~ the meezers
dogfaeries is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 12:36 AM   #19 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDog View Post
This is why I affectionately call Rocket the Don Juan of dogs.
Keefer is the Fabio of dogs.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 12:42 AM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have no major fights in the house, but both girls will put the boys in their place and the boys take it. The girls also seem to have each other's backs and watch out for each other.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.