German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   How 'doggie active' is your neighborhood? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/429898-how-doggie-active-your-neighborhood.html)

Zeeva 03-26-2014 10:34 PM

How 'doggie active' is your neighborhood?

Our neighborhood has quite a few dogs. I'd say about 1/7 houses have at least 1 dog.

In terms of walking, I only see about 4 or 5 people regularly if that.

On our walks, we encounter maybe 1 dog every other day (if we go for a walk...).

So, how 'doggie active' is your neighborhood?

SunCzarina 03-26-2014 10:41 PM

Very. One in every 7 in your neighborhood HAS? I'd guess half my neighbors have 2. Or more

Stores that aren't dog friendly have signs that say no dogs. There aren't many but it's an unwriten rule you're going to get people bringing their dogs in if you don't post it.

My dry cleaner - the DRY CLEANER - has 2 standard poodles and a bichon that greet me when I bring in the laundry. Saturday morning in the hood is like happy hour for dogs. The children's halloween parade, it's expected there will be dogs, all the merchants have dog treats to give out with kid treats. Dog friendly, yes, closer to dog centered!

Jakesworld 03-27-2014 12:54 AM

Well we live on a dirt road about 1/4 mile or so off a mountain road the road makes a loop, there's a total of about 15 houses and about 28 - 30 dogs. Every house has dogs except 1. I never thought about it til you brought it up, but for all these dogs on about a 50 acre area, it's extremely quiet.

Mishka&Milo 03-27-2014 01:13 AM

Everyone in our neighborhood has at least one dog.... Most have two. Everyone walks their dogs at least twice a day.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Gretchen 03-27-2014 01:14 AM

I live in a 36 unit condo complex, we have 9 regulars units with dogs and another unit is a vacation home that has a dog, so 1:4 units.
We have even denser condos around us, there are many units with dogs. Tonight on our 30 minutes walk, Molly got to physically meet 3 dogs, a beagle and retriever we met last year, and an off leash basset hound - all were very nice, and we walk passed another.

llombardo 03-27-2014 01:17 AM

I would say more then half have dogs. Every now and then you hear one bark but it's not often, I hear the coyotes all the time. The only way I know people have them is because I see them walking them. There are two in different houses that I see get out often, a black cocker spaniel and a yellow lab. The cocker spaniel won't go near anyone and the yellow lab visits anyone that he sees. I didn't know he was escaping until someone knocked on my door(because they knew I have dogs) to find out where he belongs.

Serbrider 03-27-2014 01:31 AM

If you consider "doggy active" as the dogs live outside 24/7 and often get loose and roam the area unfixed and digging through trash and messing with your dogs trying to enjoy a few hours outside in the sun... And the owners just shrug and say they are escape artists... Then yes, I love in a doggy active neighborhood. :p

sechattin 03-27-2014 02:06 AM

Probably more than half my neighborhood has dogs. It's an active dog neighborhood on nice days. I'll see a lot of people and meet four or five dog on my walks if I'm out in 65 to 80 degree weather on sunny days. But the second there is a cloud or shower, everyone seems to lock up inside and it's just me and my dog walking outside. I know there are even more dogs than I see out on walks in my neighborhood because every other yard I pass I get dogs barking like crazy at me from the other side of the fence.

tottie86 03-27-2014 04:47 AM

Our neighbours behind us have 4 dogs, the ones beside us have 1. We have 3.
It's a very dog active neighbourhood.

Alice13 03-27-2014 06:31 AM

Very. The house beside mine has 3, the two houses opposite has 1 each, I have 1 the house behind mine has 2 I think. In short, almost every house in my neighbourhood has at least 1.