whats your preference; male or female dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2014, 10:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default whats your preference; male or female dog?

I ask becsuse traditionally i always had females- didnt want to deal with the marking, humping, 'popping wood' that came with males. Other than that i honestly was naive to the fact that sexual dimorphism existed much in dogs and certainly didnt humanize dogs by attributing masculine or feminine qualities to male or female dogs. For years ive been told by other male dog owners they prefer males. When pressed for a reason, the response would be something vague and subjective like 'i dont know, they are just cooler'. Ok...i supposed i was aking the wrong people.
When i decided I had the available time and money to make adding a second dog feasable, i wanted another female but knew that this could cause problems. I started asking breeders and trainers. I was often surprised with how they too without hesitation would almost always answer they preferred male. Since ive added my second dog, and without losing an ounce of love or respect for my female, i do kind of get it. And surpsisingly there do seem to be some distinctly masculine qualities about male dogs and vice versa. I always thought that was more the stuff of disney cartoons and that our concepts of gender and personslity dont translate to animals.
Some do seem to. Its a bit of projecting im sure and our ideas of gender are largely influenced by culture but i swear my male acts more masculine and there is distinct femine quality about my female. They arent even both pb gsds (my male may be) so im sure breed and bloodlines etc. may make my husky mix seem girly and delicate versus my male gsd and his massive head and clumsy, brash attitude. But other dogs owners echo the same sense. Thoughts?
matthewm11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2014, 10:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I like working a male. I've had both genders and usually make my decision on 'what next' according to what lives in my house at the time. I need the dogs to get along without the crate rotate schedule. So I've gone male/female female/female(due to a rescue I couldn't resist!) Now with the three pack it is female/female/male. My next dog will probably be female but not until the other two are either gone or elderly.
I like both, females are more serious, males are goofy, yet when mature are more assertive. I think it is an individual preference, and changes according to what is in the pack at the time.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've only had male dogs (2 rotties 1 german shepherd) and I can at least vouch that male dogs are awesome. I've met many amazing female dogs, the most memorable of which was an australian shepherd. I don't know how true this is but I've read that male dogs are protective of their territory and belongings and females are protective of their people.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

I get what you're saying, my male dog does seem more masculine to me, in the sounds he makes, the way he acts, the way he's built. My girl dog isn't even the same breed but her voice seems girlier to me.

I prefer males because all the ones I've ever had or met were more affectionate than the females I've known except my current female. I also don't like dealing with them going into heat, I had Xena spayed at 6 months because of it.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I prefer males.
The family dog (female) is demanding, prissy, and extremely vocal. This is just my experience, I know that this doesn't describe female dogs, this is her personality.
I do particularly like the masculinity of males, as well as their common goofball behavior.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Line
HarleyTheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2014, 10:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

my male puppy is incredibly vocal. it's funny now but it's enough for me to worry about when he gets older. time will tell
Old 03-23-2014, 10:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Aha!
Have one of each.
"bad guys" might be afraid of my male, but my female would really hurt them!

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

zyppi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2014, 10:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyTheGSD View Post
I prefer males.
The family dog (female) is demanding, prissy, and extremely vocal. This is just my experience, I know that this doesn't describe female dogs, this is her personality.
I do particularly like the masculinity of males, as well as their common goofball behavior.
Ohhhhhh yes. Demanding and prissy are definitely 2 of Xena's features lol and she "complains" more. A lot of disgusted grunts and huffs at me when she doesn't get her way.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It's hard not to humanize them. My current boy is all dude, bravado, lipstick hanging out on his foot because he doesn't like to get it dirty, stubborn, goofy, total jock dog. I love the big goof.

My girls have been more serious at a younger age. The girl I have now is 14 months old and most of the time she seems more mature than the boy who's 6 in May.

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2014, 11:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

I like males because they are more goofy when they can be, but then can get totally serious when it's time to be serious. I also think that he is WAY more energetic than all the females my family has had, and I love that(although that could just be him ) also think they are more Velcro dogs than females (but all these reasons may be wrong, he's my first male and I haven't had a female in FOREVER!) it's just my opinion though.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Jaxx's mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.