German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   whats your preference; male or female dog? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/428538-whats-your-preference-male-female-dog.html)

matthewm11 03-23-2014 10:13 PM

whats your preference; male or female dog?

I ask becsuse traditionally i always had females- didnt want to deal with the marking, humping, 'popping wood' that came with males. Other than that i honestly was naive to the fact that sexual dimorphism existed much in dogs and certainly didnt humanize dogs by attributing masculine or feminine qualities to male or female dogs. For years ive been told by other male dog owners they prefer males. When pressed for a reason, the response would be something vague and subjective like 'i dont know, they are just cooler'. Ok...i supposed i was aking the wrong people.
When i decided I had the available time and money to make adding a second dog feasable, i wanted another female but knew that this could cause problems. I started asking breeders and trainers. I was often surprised with how they too without hesitation would almost always answer they preferred male. Since ive added my second dog, and without losing an ounce of love or respect for my female, i do kind of get it. And surpsisingly there do seem to be some distinctly masculine qualities about male dogs and vice versa. I always thought that was more the stuff of disney cartoons and that our concepts of gender and personslity dont translate to animals.
Some do seem to. Its a bit of projecting im sure and our ideas of gender are largely influenced by culture but i swear my male acts more masculine and there is distinct femine quality about my female. They arent even both pb gsds (my male may be) so im sure breed and bloodlines etc. may make my husky mix seem girly and delicate versus my male gsd and his massive head and clumsy, brash attitude. But other dogs owners echo the same sense. Thoughts?

onyx'girl 03-23-2014 10:20 PM

I like working a male. I've had both genders and usually make my decision on 'what next' according to what lives in my house at the time. I need the dogs to get along without the crate rotate schedule. So I've gone male/female female/female(due to a rescue I couldn't resist!) Now with the three pack it is female/female/male. My next dog will probably be female but not until the other two are either gone or elderly.
I like both, females are more serious, males are goofy, yet when mature are more assertive. I think it is an individual preference, and changes according to what is in the pack at the time.

TigervTeMar 03-23-2014 10:24 PM

I've only had male dogs (2 rotties 1 german shepherd) and I can at least vouch that male dogs are awesome. I've met many amazing female dogs, the most memorable of which was an australian shepherd. I don't know how true this is but I've read that male dogs are protective of their territory and belongings and females are protective of their people.

Sarah~ 03-23-2014 10:28 PM

I get what you're saying, my male dog does seem more masculine to me, in the sounds he makes, the way he acts, the way he's built. My girl dog isn't even the same breed but her voice seems girlier to me.

I prefer males because all the ones I've ever had or met were more affectionate than the females I've known except my current female. I also don't like dealing with them going into heat, I had Xena spayed at 6 months because of it.

HarleyTheGSD 03-23-2014 10:30 PM

I prefer males.
The family dog (female) is demanding, prissy, and extremely vocal. This is just my experience, I know that this doesn't describe female dogs, this is her personality.
I do particularly like the masculinity of males, as well as their common goofball behavior.

TigervTeMar 03-23-2014 10:32 PM

my male puppy is incredibly vocal. it's funny now but it's enough for me to worry about when he gets older. time will tell

zyppi 03-23-2014 10:34 PM

Aha!
Have one of each.
"bad guys" might be afraid of my male, but my female would really hurt them!

Sarah~ 03-23-2014 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarleyTheGSD (Post 5255690)
I prefer males.
The family dog (female) is demanding, prissy, and extremely vocal. This is just my experience, I know that this doesn't describe female dogs, this is her personality.
I do particularly like the masculinity of males, as well as their common goofball behavior.

Ohhhhhh yes. Demanding and prissy are definitely 2 of Xena's features lol and she "complains" more. A lot of disgusted grunts and huffs at me when she doesn't get her way.

SunCzarina 03-23-2014 10:47 PM

It's hard not to humanize them. My current boy is all dude, bravado, lipstick hanging out on his foot because he doesn't like to get it dirty, stubborn, goofy, total jock dog. I love the big goof.

My girls have been more serious at a younger age. The girl I have now is 14 months old and most of the time she seems more mature than the boy who's 6 in May.

Jaxx's mom 03-23-2014 11:04 PM

I like males because they are more goofy when they can be, but then can get totally serious when it's time to be serious. I also think that he is WAY more energetic than all the females my family has had, and I love that(although that could just be him :) ) also think they are more Velcro dogs than females (but all these reasons may be wrong, he's my first male and I haven't had a female in FOREVER!) it's just my opinion though.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App