This little guy's a Trooper! (non-GSD) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2014, 03:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default This little guy's a Trooper! (non-GSD)

I wanted to start a thread to share pictures/updates of my new foster dog. Properly named, "Trooper" was pulled by me for local rescue from our county kill shelter Friday morning. He was brought in as a stray, found with many wounds on his body. He was not friendly when found, and rightly so... The vet on call checked him out and said she thought he looked like he had been hit by a car. Antibiotics and pain medication and he sat for over a week before I stepped up to pull him, as he was on the urgent list needing rescue.

Thought to be 7 years old by the vet at the shelter, our vets think he's more like five... and instead of being hit by a car, they are thinking chemical burn. The vet said his wounds look like burn victims she's seen, but worse. She suspects if he had been hit by a car hard enough to send him flying and to get all of these wounds, he would have broken bones and more lacerations. It looks much more like something was poured on him, unfortunately.

If he had come into the clinic right after receiving these wounds, she said she would have rushed him into surgery. Unfortunately, he was left to suffer and they started healing, so she is taking a "wait and see" approach to hope he can heal on his own. We have three vet visits a week scheduled to make sure his "burns" as we are calling them, are healing properly. He's on three different pills, a liquid antibiotic, and a topical ointment 2x a day. She said he will get worse before he gets better. We went for a long walk Friday evening, a short walk Saturday morning, and Saturday night he was not interested in eating. Many of his wounds have opened up and the skin is dying and falling off along with a lot of his hair. He honestly looks a bit like a zombie dog.

All that said, he is a SUPER sweet, obese little Chihuahua mix fellow with a heart of gold. I cannot imagine what he's been through or being so trusting after it, but I am glad that he was trusting enough that we could give him a chance. He's not housetrained whatsoever, but we can worry about that later.

Onward to the pictures! There will be graphic pictures, I would advise you not to look if you're squeamish. I'm taking pictures of his wounds daily to keep track of how they're progressing.

Right after we met, at animal control.

All he wanted was belly rubs...

His healing skin is very "jerky like" we call it.

He got a cute little collar and loved his walk.

He's got a darling little weasel face.

And these are his wounds this evening, day two with him.

You can see higher on his back, where all of that dead skin has fallen off and it is now fleshy and pink, healing and will hopefully scar up quickly.

Back in his "top bunk" above Patton's crate, ready for bed. Wish I could let him sleep with me, but... the skin and hair falls off so easily, that would be a gross mess.

As for whomever/whatever did this to him or left him like this... well, we all know there's a special place for them. Hopefully karma will do its job. Thanks for looking!
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2014, 04:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Awwwwwwww he is so cute! I will never understand how people can do these things to animals. His name fits perfectly I hope he finds a great home! I know I'd take him in a heartbeat if I could, he is just darling.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Poor baby. I am excited to watch him recover with you. He seems very sweet.
Boaz von der Quellwasser - little man in training!

http://vomfeuergarten.weebly.com/
GatorDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2014, 06:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Poor fella.. He has the cutest little face.. I wish him all the best in his recovery.. And thank you for pulling him and giving him the care he needs..

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, CGC ~ soon to be titled... And now Oberon v. Wildhaus ~ the obnoxious puppy..
G-burg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2014, 08:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you for saving that poor sweet dog.

It continually amazes me how abused animals can still remain sweet and trusting when shown love and care.
Mister C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2014, 08:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

About 3 years ago, my husband was on his tractor in the hay field and called to tell me there was a very thin Siamese cat hunting in the field. In addition to starving, he looked to have a pretty bad wound on his neck.

He then called back and stated that it wasn't a cat, but it didn't look like a dog either! Interesting. He said he couldn't get close to him, nor did the little creature ever once look up from his intense search for food.

I gathered up the big cat carrier, canned food and first aid supplies and sat in that field for a couple of hours. Nothing.

At some point, my husband was able to take a rather far away, poor quality picture of him with his phone and we tried blowing it up in order to figure out what it was.

It was a Chihuahua! It was cream colored with darker "points" like a Siamese!
He never saw it in that field again, but a week later saw him still intensely hunting a couple miles down the road. He wouldn't even consider coming any closer to the truck, even with the offer of smelly food. Poor little guy. I was surprised with the number of coyotes in our area that he managed to make it on his own as long as he did.

Thanks for doing what you're doing!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
MyHans-someBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2014, 10:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

He is a cute little guy. Glad he has the loving home he deserves!
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2014, 10:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

Kudos to you ! We too took in a chiauhau, no one claimed her. What is it with soo many ignorant or/and abusive people?! I'll never understand, never. At least this little guy will finally get to feel the love? Thanks for that!
Jakesworld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Today he is doing much better. Ate a huge breakfast and happily took his medication. Much of his "jerky" skin is coming away from his body and scar tissue/new skin is growing underneath. He let me cut quite a bit of the dead "jerky" skin off of him this morning, exposing his new stuff. Not quite as much skin/blood/hair tufts falling off overnight/this morning. I trimmed up his fur so that it wasn't getting in the way when I applied his topical as well. Pictures coming shortly.

Also no accidents inside for a day now!
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2014, 12:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
Also no accidents inside for a day now!
Good boy Trooper!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.