German Shepherds Forum banner

Sudden Death, Seeking Answers

10K views 39 replies 28 participants last post by  Clancy_Wiggum 
#1 ·
My female shepherd died in her crate last night. She was about two months shy of being 10 years old. She was showing zero signs of illness last night. My male is fine. I emailed the breeder just now to ask how long her mother lived. Do aggressive dogs live shorter lives? I bought her from a county sheriff; she was 100 miles an hour at everything all the time, very energetic and high drive.

My dogs were in a fenced backyard a lot. She killed two possums in the past week, but didn't eat them. I've seen her kill moles before, too. All I can guess about the cause of such a sudden death is a blockage of some sort. I can't find any sort of poison she might have gotten into. She wasn't foaming or salivating at the mouth. Bloat or blockage is the only thing I know of that kills a dog this fast.

Thank you in advance for any condolences. I posted this in the general information thread because I am mostly just wanting to figure out what happened to my dog. Thanks.

#30 ·
I'm truly sorry for your loss. I had to go through something similar the beginning of last year. My labrador, who is always wanting to eat, didn't eat his food. I don't think much of it and the next thing I see is that his right leg was a little swollen up. Took him to the doctor and they said that he had 24 hours to live. He had lymph node cancer, I think its called lympho-blastoma. The doc said he will die in 24-48 hours. I had to put him to sleep because as the hours progressed, he couldn't even walk. I gave him ice cream and he didn't eat it.

#33 ·
I tried to console him as much as I could, even adopted another female GSD to keep him company, but it wasn't enough. He died in his sleep last night. He didn't want to live any more after Nancy died. I buried them together. Rest in peace, Clancy.

Attachments

#37 ·
I'm sorry. He was a beautiful dog, and their ability to attach to other critters is why they make such great companions to us. Unfortunately, losing them, and when they lose each other, it is so very difficult.

#40 ·
She was ten, and he was eleven. He had developed a limp on his front leg. I thought he could have hurt it falling on the ice this winter. It was worse after resting, then the limp would almost go away, which I read on here is a sign of elbow dysplasia. It could have also been bone cancer or a tumor. Even if I knew, I would not have done anything differently than let him die in peace. He just seemed to give up on life after Nancy died

He was acting restless the night before he died. He kept pacing around like he was trying to pick out his spot. He would walk to the corner of the room and stare into it, as if he was watching something that only he could see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.