German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   What breed is this? And will it go with my gsd? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/427130-what-breed-will-go-my-gsd.html)

Linck 03-20-2014 10:22 PM

What breed is this? And will it go with my gsd?

1 Attachment(s)
What breed is this? I'm thinking about getting another puppy. Would breed like pointer get along with my 1.5 yo?

HarleyTheGSD 03-20-2014 10:29 PM

I'd say either a foxhound or a harrier. I'm sure it will get along with your GSD as long as he's not aggressive.

e.rigby 03-20-2014 10:46 PM

It has short legs, looks like a beagle to me.

jnddavis01 03-20-2014 10:50 PM

I used to have a beagle mutt, she was quite a bit bigger than both the 13" and 15" beagle breeds (and was also just brown and white, with no black, so a bi-color) so I used to guess she was mixed with something a little bigger...the dog you posted a pic of appears to me to be a full blooded, tri-color beagle. Hard to tell which size though, 13" or 15" They can be very stubborn, and when they put their nose to the ground they are GONE!!! But I loved my beagle mutt, she was a good dog.

my boy diesel 03-20-2014 11:05 PM

beagle
noisy dogs

Stevenzachsmom 03-20-2014 11:24 PM

I have a beagle mutt now. Love him! He is very smart. People don't give them enough credit. What is so great about hounds, is that they are a "pack" breed and generally love all other dogs. Mine sure does. I have a friend who has 6 beagles in her pack. She does agility with some of them. There are TONS of hounds and hound mixes in shelters - from puppy on up. Does your GSD get along with other dogs? If so, the hound won't be a problem.

Nigel 03-20-2014 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnddavis01 (Post 5238762)
I used to have a beagle mutt, she was quite a bit bigger than both the 13" and 15" beagle breeds (and was also just brown and white, with no black, so a bi-color) so I used to guess she was mixed with something a little bigger...the dog you posted a pic of appears to me to be a full blooded, tri-color beagle. Hard to tell which size though, 13" or 15" They can be very stubborn, and when they put their nose to the ground they are GONE!!! But I loved my beagle mutt, she was a good dog.

You may already know, Brown/whites are also called lemon beagles.

The dog on the cover looks a little long in the legs and too narrow in the chest to be a beagle, I'd guess fox hound.

Athena'sMom 03-21-2014 12:08 AM

Looks like a beagle! Hounds are little handfuls! BARK BARK BARK!! My mom has 2 and wow is her house a mad house. Not the breed for me.
They will follow there nose anywhere and everywhere and I find them hard to potty train!

Gretchen 03-21-2014 01:26 AM

Beagle - having grown up with one, I'd say what you are thinking is a bad idea.

carmspack 03-21-2014 02:51 AM

I would try to get a dog as similar in breed characteristics as your GSD. A beagle is typically very people and dog friendly -- no suspicion to them . They are a bit of a doing my own thing type of dog , really difficult to get obedience on them. What would your gsd do, would his obedience hold ?