German Shepherds Forum banner

What breed is this? And will it go with my gsd?

2K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  Lilie 
#1 ·
What breed is this? I'm thinking about getting another puppy. Would breed like pointer get along with my 1.5 yo?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I used to have a beagle mutt, she was quite a bit bigger than both the 13" and 15" beagle breeds (and was also just brown and white, with no black, so a bi-color) so I used to guess she was mixed with something a little bigger...the dog you posted a pic of appears to me to be a full blooded, tri-color beagle. Hard to tell which size though, 13" or 15" They can be very stubborn, and when they put their nose to the ground they are GONE!!! But I loved my beagle mutt, she was a good dog.

#6 ·
I have a beagle mutt now. Love him! He is very smart. People don't give them enough credit. What is so great about hounds, is that they are a "pack" breed and generally love all other dogs. Mine sure does. I have a friend who has 6 beagles in her pack. She does agility with some of them. There are TONS of hounds and hound mixes in shelters - from puppy on up. Does your GSD get along with other dogs? If so, the hound won't be a problem.

#8 ·
Looks like a beagle! Hounds are little handfuls! BARK BARK BARK!! My mom has 2 and wow is her house a mad house. Not the breed for me.
They will follow there nose anywhere and everywhere and I find them hard to potty train!

#10 ·
I would try to get a dog as similar in breed characteristics as your GSD. A beagle is typically very people and dog friendly -- no suspicion to them . They are a bit of a doing my own thing type of dog , really difficult to get obedience on them. What would your gsd do, would his obedience hold ?

#11 ·
It looks like a Beagle to me. They are very sweet natured dogs, but willful, hard to train and don't count on having any kind of recall. They will follow their nose wherever they please, I know a number of beagles who have been lost by their owners.

I love the look and personality of scent hounds, but I don't know if I'd own one, for the above reasons.

#12 ·
I know several people with Beagles right now and let me tell you, I would NEVER own one! The baying is terrible! All they do is bay, bay, bay! They are also prone to obesity and all of the Beagles I know are overweight.

You should ask Lilie about her daughter's Beagle. :crazy:

#13 ·
What is it that you are looking for in your second dog? Are you looking for a hunting companion? Are you looking for a high energy dog? A low energy dog? If you are looking for a dog to take to the field with you, I have some suggestions.

My daughter has a Beagle that is staying with us. He's an older guy and smart as a whip. He is a great companion for her. Healthy as a horse. The only problem she has with him are ear infections. But that dog has a voice on him that makes me want to poke my eyes out. He is very vocal. It's his nature. Due to his vocalization, she has to be really careful about where she lives.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.