Thinking Of Taking In Another GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2014, 05:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Thinking Of Taking In Another GSD

Last week my friend had a man contact me about his dog Hunter, a 6th month old male GSD. The man's girlfriend was moving in with him and Hunter was not getting along with her little dog and actually almost killed it when the couple went out for dinner. To make the story short, the man decided to give away Hunter to make his girlfriend happy. The man was talking to my friend about it and she told him about how much I love GSD's and am a great dog trainer. He contacted me and asked if I would have Hunter. Hunter is AKC registered, hips and elbow certified, and has been DNA tested that he is not at risk for common heath problems in GSD's. Yes, the man showed me all of Hunter's paperwork to prove it. Hunter was also a sweetheart when I first met him and the man said that was the fastest Hunter has ever warmed up to someone before. I really want to take Hunter in but I already have 3 GSD's and the oldest one is only 3. Not to mention Ivy (my 2-year-old GSD) is extremely aggressive towards dogs. Maybe a little advice or opinions from other people would help.....

Here is a picture of Hunter with the man who wants to give him to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Thinking Of Taking In Another GSD-hunter.jpg  

Last edited by Jusdy; 03-20-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Jusdy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2014, 07:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well if you have three and no problems your doing great. And yep it can be a big risk. But here are some site that I find informative.

I just got a rescued dog – what do I do? | stickydogblog
Leerburg On Demand | Introducing a New Dog into a Home with other Dogs
https://suite101.com/a/how-to-avoid-...eholds-a183736
Two or More Dogs
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2014, 11:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Beautiful dog! The Leerburg dvds are good
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2014, 11:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've never heard of a 6 month old dog getting prelims done...and either way, prelims aren't a certification of anything.

If you can handle 4 dogs, sounds like a great fit. I would never do it because I hate "crate and rotate." Throwing a 4th dog in, especially when a few of your others aren't fully matured yet could cause issues in the future. If not now, eventually someone is going to challenge someone else.

If you already have a really aggressive dog, you're probably used to crate and rotate so it shouldn't be an issue for you. I dog sat a friends male GSD and we had to constantly crate and rotate, try to make sure no one was sitting in a crate for too long during the day, ect. It just wasn't something I'd sign up for on a daily basis.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2014, 02:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

I would say take him and foster him until you can find someone who you know will be a good fit, if he is just giving this dog away, who knows whos hands it will end up in
blueangele is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2014, 05:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well when I first got Ivy (who had just turned 2 at the time), I already had Jorden and they were fine with each other but when whenever people come to visit and bring their dogs with them all of **** breaks loose. I recently bought a male GSD puppy from a breeder and Ivy was just fine with him (I think it was because she knew he was a baby). I know I could take care of Hunter because I have a huge 10 acre yard and have the time and money to take care of him, but I don't want the fear of ever leaving my house and having Ivy tare into him. I like the crate idea but I want to have my dogs be able to actually get along together.
Spencer-5 months (don't-know-color-yet GSD)
Jake-Died at 16 years (faded bi-color)
Jusdy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.