German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   My dog just destroyed an antler in 10 mins (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/426162-my-dog-just-destroyed-antler-10-mins.html)

brembo 03-18-2014 05:48 PM

My dog just destroyed an antler in 10 mins

I decided to splurge and get two nice sized antlers for the mutts. 6 inches long, about 1-1.5 inches in diameter, was sorta spendy.

Cable just brought me a few chunks of his antler. I thought these things were supposed to last. Lady at the boutique said people get 1/2 a year out of them. Geez.

Courtney 03-18-2014 06:24 PM

You would think a antler is a antler, right? Not so much. I have had some last months & some that were gone in a week.

10 minutes, that has to be a record:)

brembo 03-18-2014 06:27 PM

Oh well. He enjoyed it. Not getting anymore tho.

Gwenhwyfair 03-18-2014 07:06 PM

Yup. I made the mistake of ordering the 'monster' size or whatever the XXL was called from Dr.s Foster and Smith.

They were pricey and smallish compared to the advertised measurments.

Dogs showed great interest but I threw them out after a few minutes because I could see Ilda or Smitty biting the end off of one whole, swallowing it and ending up with a GI blockage.

So, having heard good things about them I went online to research and find better quality. Apparently there are different grades and some can be 'dry' and brittle. Elk is better then deer or moose or moose was better then elk and some were too old and what to watch for when buying antlers, naturally shed vs farmed deer.........and none of them cheap. :confused:

I'll stick with the super duper sized nylabones.

pyratemom 03-18-2014 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Courtney (Post 5225026)
You would think a antler is a antler, right? Not so much. I have had some last months & some that were gone in a week.

10 minutes, that has to be a record:)

I have to agree. Not all antlers are created equal. My dog has one she has had for over a year and it is still mostly there except for where she chewed the marrow on the ends. Others she has gone through in less than an hour. The ones I ordered online didn't seem to last as long as the ones I've bought at the local pet food store. And, ten minutes has to be a record!

SunCzarina 03-18-2014 08:59 PM

Otto is impressed. He's gotten them as gifts and they never last more than a week, it's easier making icecubes.

llombardo 03-18-2014 10:21 PM

Elk or deer? The elk are stronger. I don't get the deer ones anymore.

Galathiel 03-19-2014 10:21 AM

Be sure they are not 'split' antlers also. Those don't last at all. I've gotten some that lasted a good while and others that he was able to gnaw down pretty handily.

Wild Wolf 03-19-2014 10:47 AM

I've had both of mine for 2 years, but it really depends on the softness of a particular antler and how aggressive of a chewer the dog is.

Shade 03-19-2014 10:48 AM

I agree with the others, I've had some that only last a day or two and some that have lasted months. It depends on the individual antler :)