Housing in Vancouver, WA area with GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2014, 03:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Housing in Vancouver, WA area with GSD

My husband and I have determined that we need to find different housing. We've got great rental history but two dogs, a cat, and three kids. The problem we are having is breed restrictions. We've got rental insurance and our puppy and I are currently training for his CGC. I've been looking for three weeks. Hoping maybe there's an off chance there's that needle in the haystack out there that has a house for rent or knows of anyone who is a landlord and dog lover? Haha! Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

*-*Summer*-*
SummerGSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2014, 03:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

No ideas, eh.

*-*Summer*-*
Old 03-27-2014, 03:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I don't suggest it...but I kept my pets a secret from the landlord. It was just too difficult finding a place that allowed 8 pets...and I couldn't rehome that many or take them to the shelter...

Hoping things work out for you...
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2014, 11:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

How do you keep 8 pets a secret?

*-*Summer*-*
Old 03-27-2014, 11:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

I thought about taking pictures of our current house (all rooms) to show prospective landlords but Idk. That way they can see there was no damage done and I keep it clean.

*-*Summer*-*
Old 03-27-2014, 12:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

You just don't tell them you have any pets. Normally the landlord doesn't come to your house once you're living in it, at least from our experience they don't. If the house needs repairs, they send out someone to fix things. If/when they do, you can just put away all signs of pets, and while the repair work is being done, just take your pets in a vehicle and go out for the day, or hide them in rooms the repairman doens't need to access. If you have barking dogs, then yeah, drive them to a park for a few hours, and hide their water and food bowls, cat litter boxes, etc. We are living in a place now that only allows for 2 pets, and we have 5 cats, 4 big dogs, and 3 kiddos. Ha! Good luck.

Oh, and we are in the process of closing on our house in SE Portland (Mount Scott near the Clackamas Town Center) in the next week or so. If anything falls through and we're forced to rent it out, I could always contact you. It has nearly .5 acre fenced-in back yard that backs up to acres of forest of the Willamette National Cemetery. Nice view of Mt. Saint Helens from the kitchen window and wrap around porch.
Sir BEOWULF the Brave {male Siberian Husky | Wolf}
counter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 02:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by counter View Post
You just don't tell them you have any pets. Normally the landlord doesn't come to your house once you're living in it, at least from our experience they don't. If the house needs repairs, they send out someone to fix things. If/when they do, you can just put away all signs of pets, and while the repair work is being done, just take your pets in a vehicle and go out for the day, or hide them in rooms the repairman doens't need to access. If you have barking dogs, then yeah, drive them to a park for a few hours, and hide their water and food bowls, cat litter boxes, etc. We are living in a place now that only allows for 2 pets, and we have 5 cats, 4 big dogs, and 3 kiddos. Ha! Good luck.

Oh, and we are in the process of closing on our house in SE Portland (Mount Scott near the Clackamas Town Center) in the next week or so. If anything falls through and we're forced to rent it out, I could always contact you. It has nearly .5 acre fenced-in back yard that backs up to acres of forest of the Willamette National Cemetery. Nice view of Mt. Saint Helens from the kitchen window and wrap around porch.
Wow! Yes. Let me know!

*-*Summer*-*
Old 03-28-2014, 09:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

As a landlord I can't believe people would suggest hiding the pets....hmmm....wonder why landlords don't want to rent to people with pets.......

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
nktigger99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 10:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nktigger99 View Post
As a landlord I can't believe people would suggest hiding the pets....hmmm....wonder why landlords don't want to rent to people with pets.......

Which is why I was asking here about housing. I don't want to be the person who lies to the landlord. Besides, it's too big of a risk, imo.

*-*Summer*-*
Old 03-28-2014, 10:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

Most landlords aren't jerks...if you are honest and talk to them they usually will work with you. We are landlords due to the crappy housing market....we can't afford to have a house on the market for months while paying two mortgages....maybe try to find someone like that.

nktigger99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.