German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Housing in Vancouver, WA area with GSD (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/425690-housing-vancouver-wa-area-gsd.html)

SummerGSDLover 03-17-2014 03:04 PM

Housing in Vancouver, WA area with GSD

My husband and I have determined that we need to find different housing. We've got great rental history but two dogs, a cat, and three kids. The problem we are having is breed restrictions. We've got rental insurance and our puppy and I are currently training for his CGC. I've been looking for three weeks. Hoping maybe there's an off chance there's that needle in the haystack out there that has a house for rent or knows of anyone who is a landlord and dog lover? Haha! Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. :)

*-*Summer*-*

SummerGSDLover 03-27-2014 03:23 AM

No ideas, eh.

*-*Summer*-*

Zeeva 03-27-2014 03:41 AM

I don't suggest it...but I kept my pets a secret from the landlord. It was just too difficult finding a place that allowed 8 pets...and I couldn't rehome that many or take them to the shelter...

Hoping things work out for you...

SummerGSDLover 03-27-2014 11:36 AM

How do you keep 8 pets a secret?

*-*Summer*-*

SummerGSDLover 03-27-2014 11:57 AM

I thought about taking pictures of our current house (all rooms) to show prospective landlords but Idk. That way they can see there was no damage done and I keep it clean.

*-*Summer*-*

counter 03-27-2014 12:06 PM

You just don't tell them you have any pets. Normally the landlord doesn't come to your house once you're living in it, at least from our experience they don't. If the house needs repairs, they send out someone to fix things. If/when they do, you can just put away all signs of pets, and while the repair work is being done, just take your pets in a vehicle and go out for the day, or hide them in rooms the repairman doens't need to access. If you have barking dogs, then yeah, drive them to a park for a few hours, and hide their water and food bowls, cat litter boxes, etc. We are living in a place now that only allows for 2 pets, and we have 5 cats, 4 big dogs, and 3 kiddos. Ha! Good luck.

Oh, and we are in the process of closing on our house in SE Portland (Mount Scott near the Clackamas Town Center) in the next week or so. If anything falls through and we're forced to rent it out, I could always contact you. It has nearly .5 acre fenced-in back yard that backs up to acres of forest of the Willamette National Cemetery. Nice view of Mt. Saint Helens from the kitchen window and wrap around porch.

SummerGSDLover 03-28-2014 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by counter (Post 5277970)
You just don't tell them you have any pets. Normally the landlord doesn't come to your house once you're living in it, at least from our experience they don't. If the house needs repairs, they send out someone to fix things. If/when they do, you can just put away all signs of pets, and while the repair work is being done, just take your pets in a vehicle and go out for the day, or hide them in rooms the repairman doens't need to access. If you have barking dogs, then yeah, drive them to a park for a few hours, and hide their water and food bowls, cat litter boxes, etc. We are living in a place now that only allows for 2 pets, and we have 5 cats, 4 big dogs, and 3 kiddos. Ha! Good luck.

Oh, and we are in the process of closing on our house in SE Portland (Mount Scott near the Clackamas Town Center) in the next week or so. If anything falls through and we're forced to rent it out, I could always contact you. It has nearly .5 acre fenced-in back yard that backs up to acres of forest of the Willamette National Cemetery. Nice view of Mt. Saint Helens from the kitchen window and wrap around porch.

Wow! Yes. Let me know!

*-*Summer*-*

nktigger99 03-28-2014 09:59 AM

As a landlord I can't believe people would suggest hiding the pets....hmmm....wonder why landlords don't want to rent to people with pets.......

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

SummerGSDLover 03-28-2014 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nktigger99 (Post 5283930)
As a landlord I can't believe people would suggest hiding the pets....hmmm....wonder why landlords don't want to rent to people with pets.......

Which is why I was asking here about housing. I don't want to be the person who lies to the landlord. Besides, it's too big of a risk, imo.

*-*Summer*-*

nktigger99 03-28-2014 10:51 AM

Most landlords aren't jerks...if you are honest and talk to them they usually will work with you. We are landlords due to the crappy housing market....we can't afford to have a house on the market for months while paying two mortgages....maybe try to find someone like that.