German Shepherds Forum banner

More likely to happen in car heat stroke or dog theft?

2K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  Jakesworld 
#1 ·
It is now getting into hot days. Okay before and after scenting class today with my dog. Been discussing to my dad that dogs are more likely to get a heat stroke than a theft. The reasons are we are in a small community center with transparent windows and our dogs and cars are clear viewed. Very short distance like 10-15 feet from cc. My parents wanted to leave windows up even a crack because of thefts. Everybody else's have windows down enough for air so they won't get hear strokes. I explained to my parents it is more likely for Riley my Labradoodle to get a heat stroke than a theft in our situation. My closed minded dad goes I don't believe that I disagree and my parents go on giving me a hard time... My parents do not listen at all.

#2 ·
This does not have anything to do with aggression.

It depends on how hot it is outside, if the sun is shining on the car, etc. Is it hot when you get back in the car?

I would agree that heat is usually more concern than theft. Why do you have to leave the dog in the car at all? Can you stay out there with him? One thing you may tell your dog is that it is more frequent for "animal activists" to see a dog in a car with rolled up windows and break out the windows to "save the dog" even if the conditions don't warrant it.

#4 ·
Um if the windows are only just cracked the dog WILL get sick or die. That's a given.

I bring dogs all over the country and to various training or to work on a weekly basis. No one has ever tried to steal my vehicle. If someone really wanted to steal a vehicle, a rolled up window wouldn't stop them. I'm more worried about my DOGS getting stolen but I have ways of preventing this even with doors open and windows down.

#6 ·
This is such a difficult decision when going into a bank or grocery store you need to have a thermometer adjacent to where the dog is being kept, if it's in a crate .. I happen to have 2 - 12 volt osculating fans with deep cycle car batteries attached blowing inside the camper shell - cab window is open in front the shell windows are open and back the shell would be open in case the dog needed to be taken out quickly -- but this is such a difficult decision you don't want to leave your dog home -- you want to take the dog with you -- you need to make a quick 6 min. stop it's just difficult all the way around if you're by yourself . In as little as five or six minutes the temperature can rise 25° if you're not in the shade . A magnetic sign wouldn't be a bad idea either .. :D

#7 ·
If it's above freezing I always have windows open. The amount open and degree to which they are opened depends on the temp and the weather, but even here at *freezing* temps if it's sunny and my van is not in the shade it can get stuffy in the van.

#8 ·
Who (besides animal activists) steals dogs out of cars? I mean, people say it can happen, and I'm sure it has happened, but I would think the risk of losing your dog to heatstroke is exponentially greater than losing him to theft.

Of course it depends on the outdoor temperature, how long you are leaving the dog in the car, and whether you park in the sun vs. the shade, etc. Common sense rules; if the car is too hot for you, it's probably too hot for your dog.

#9 ·
Exactly, I've never heard of it. Not to mention, the dogs I train and have in my vehicle are not very likely to comply with a random person trying to take them out of their crates. Unless we are traveling cross-country and making a pit stop, they probably don't even have collars on. Nikon is quiet in the crate even with people walking near the vehicle but I'd like to see someone try to open the crate and control him without a collar on! I worry more about my luggage, camera, etc getting stolen so if we stop at a restaurant I just carry a bag inside with me. You can also get those van hatch rods that allow you to keep the hatch partially open but also locked.

#12 ·
He should be secured in a crate, then you can roll down windows and open doors. We have the same rule/procedure for flyball, nosework, and agility, though some dogs crate inside the building/ringside. I don't bother hauling around an extra set of crates and having to bring them inside, only for tournaments (and even then if the weather is decent and we park nearby where the team is setup, I crate my dogs in the vehicle). A crate is not mean, it is SAFE. If your dog gets hot working he needs air. It's more unfair to have all the doors shut and windows up.

#13 ·
Lobobear, I know you are taking the dog to a class but why does he have to stay in the car alone? Couldn't you just wait outside with him?

Ideally you WOULD have a crate. That is why I bought a truck and it is set up with a locking dog box (because I had about $600 worth of search gear stolen from an open van during a search) with my gear locked elsewhere. But I know that is not a realistic option for you.

One of my teammates has a car and I tuned her into these and she LOVES them. Might be something YOU could buy for the car.

Mutt Managers

#15 ·
When we took nosework classes the dogs were crated in an area away from the working area. It was way too warm at the time to even consider leaving my dogs in the car.

#16 ·
When we have the dogs for work, we take the crates out of the car and set them in the shade. Make sure that they have water, often even take them down to the water and toss a stick or rock in so they get in and get wet. Try to avoid the hottest part of the day.

I hate summer because we always have heat strokes come into work and they are some of the hardest cases to deal with. We had one as a transfer from another clinic where the people didn't tell them that the dog had been locked in a car for 15 minutes (our summers get up to 100+ weather, very dry) and they thought the dog was in congestive heart failure. The medications for that only complicated things tenfold because you use diuretics.

Unless my dogs can come in with me during the summer, or be outside in some way that keeps them near water or otherwise cool, I don't bring them along. Just not worth what I've seen dogs who got heat stroke go through. It really is hard to get them through it and a very lengthy and expensive prospect too. Those dogs need usually a week or more in the hospital with round the clock care, plasma transfusions, etc. It just isn't good. :/

#17 ·
I only wish it was getting warm here. It is currently 16 degrees. I think it got all the way up to 22 degrees, but I could be wrong about that.

Babs was in the car all day, windows up. We went to the park briefly, and I had her out. Would have had her out longer, but the younger of my nieces managed to fall off the top of the slide and hit the wood chips on her face. So we went back home. Babs is still in the car. She is crated back there. And has a blanket. The car warmed up on the hour and half drive back so she will be fine.

I train in the spring, summer, and fall, and usually bring two dogs to class to save gas, and do two classes back to back. I park in the shade, crate the dogs in the back, leave windows down, and the back up.

I have never had a problem with theft (yet), animal wackos (yet), or a dog having a heat-related problem -- though I rarely train in the afternoon, it is usually in the morning on Saturdays, or later in the evenings during the week.

#18 ·
One thing to bring up, given that I bought one for my golden after finding this out, Ruffwear makes a swamp cooler style vest that you can get for your dogs. You just soak it in cool water and wrap it around them.

First time I saw it used was at one of the intern parties at one of my boss's places. Everyone out in the backyard. The physiotherapist has this very old visla who can't really walk well, lays around a bunch. He was laying on a dog bed, even in the shade, he was obviously hot and having trouble staying cool. She took his temperature, wet the vest and then put it on him.

Within minutes it was clear he was resting more comfortably, and when she took his temperature again, it was a full degree less than it had been. You have to get them wet a few times during use (depending on where you are and the heat) but they truly work wonders. :)

#19 ·
If I'm taking my dog(s) somewhere where they have to stay in the car, I will either:
1. Leave the car running with keys in the ignition.
2. Open the windows enough that they can breath easy but not get out.

The second I will ONLY do if the temps are under 55. Otherwise, engine is on and A/C running.

My dog is protective and has free reign over the inside of the car when I'm not there, so nobody will go near, whether windows are up or down or if car is running or off.

Regardless of the above though, I never leave my dog(s) unattended in the car for more than 15 minutes. Because, despite everyone's best efforts, things can happen.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#21 ·
It gets too warm down here. Leaving the dog in a vehicle is rarely an option.

#22 ·
A word to the wise if you leave the engine running. Be sure to have the spare key because, at least in Toyotas, the remote door release does NOT work if a key is in the ignition.

It is an option I don't like because the engine can always stall out and that is worse than leaving the windows cracked PLUS if you are parked next to OTHER cars with dogs you will be a persona non grata. I cant tell you how many folks I have read the riot act to for pulling next to MY truck with my dogs under a wide open camper shell with 12 volt fans running only to find their diesel behemoth spewing hot odorous exhaust into my truck.

With SAR we have to leave the dogs in vehicles sometimes for hours. We keep an eye on each others cars and our standards require any one on the team can take any other dog out of their car to break them. but.

#26 ·
Like I said, no matter whether I have the car running or the windows cracked, I never leave them alone for more than 15 minutes, it's usually me running in and out in 5 minutes if I have to leave the car running due to the heat... and 95% of the time it's because I'm stopping somewhere dogs aren't allowed on the way to something with them. Otherwise, they are left at home, or brought with me.

My parents used to run into stores without us kids, and would leave the engine running.

I would just leave the windows all the way down, but I know for a fact that my dog would get out of the car if that was the case. Not run off, not go anywhere, but she doesn't like to be confined (unless she's on a comfy bed in the house...), so will find a way out of anything... just to sit by it and bark at passersby... and to me, that's fine, but to those around... not so much.

So I leave the car running if it's hot out as I run in and out of a store.

#27 ·
I've put these on car windshields when it's really warm outside. One car didn't have the windows cracked, the dog was hot and panting. I went into the restaurant and paged the owner. No answer. I was gonna give them just a few more minutes before I broke the window, or called 911. Watched til they came out, I hope they got the message. About 3 1/3x6 inch. Front & back.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.