German Shepherds Forum banner

Not interested in breakfast

800 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  lyssa62 
#1 ·
Roxy will be 14 months at the end of the month. I have just switched her up to large breed adult blue buffalo as of yesterday. This has started about a month ago...she just isn't interested in breakfast. The other meals she will eat but breakfast ..just doesn't care about it.
She comes bolting out of her crate full speed ahead in the am ...she goes out..we may take a short walk..she comes in and takes inventory of her toys to make sure nothing was taken during the night. Makes her rounds to get pets and tickles and then squirrel watches out the window.. I can sprinkle cheese on the food etc. Until about 9 am she is NOT interested in eating. Is this a concern or do I just assume she is more of a "brunch" kind of dog?

She does have a vet visit on Tuesday because she is still doing the every 2 weeks or so throw up that looks like undigested food from the day before....I'm going to have him make sure she doesn't have a blockage somewhere. She's notorious for eating her fur. When I brush her if some happens to get away from me she eats it. I am hoping she doesn't have a great big hair ball she can't pass.

Any suggestions?

#2 · (Edited)
Both Smitty and Ilda went through stages like that around a year and a half old.

I'm a big believer of putting the food down and leaving it down for 10 to 15 minutes and picking it up if they don't eat.

No emotions, no coaxing, no extra toppings, just quietly pick the bowl up and put food away until next meal time. They learn that if they don't eat food disappears!

The caveat being no other apparent health issues and since your already watching for that and going for a vet check you've got that covered. :)

So for now, I wouldn't worry about it.

#4 ·
thank you!!!! I am trying not to worry. It's like on a regular every 2 weeks timing. Just a quick puke up some undigested food and go about our business for another 2 weeks. And it's' usually the same quantity ...other than that..weight is perfect, coat is shiny and nice...teeth and gums look great. She has gorgeous poops. (yeah I'm that owner that counts and inspects every poop. ) ;) So other than this occasional puke fest..she seems fine.

#5 ·
That was Autumn too. She'd go a week or two and then pause "barf" and back to her normal self be bopping around.

I hate it when they don't eat so I had to train myself to not worry. :eek:

Now as adults they all gobble up their food with gusto...and a nice side effect is since they have good eating habits now if they go off their food a bit it's a distinct immediately noticeable change that alerts me something may be up health wise.

The other thing I do is feed a smaller portion for breakfast. They are more active during they day and that's when I train so it helps with food motivation and also less on their stomachs when they are active.

In the evenings when things are mellower and quiet they get a bigger portion and rest.

That seems to flow real nice for our pack. :)

#6 ·
I am going to try that smaller portion at breakfast and not get too worried if she doesn't eat before say 9am. She also gets a small "snack" at around 7pm ( just a small amount of kibble) so maybe she just really isn't hungry when she first wakes up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.