Microchips-pros? Cons? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2014, 11:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question Microchips-pros? Cons?

So my 7+ month old Jake, isn't microchipped. When Jake was a few months old I had his eyes done (checked) at a breeders clinic that also offered microchipping. I chose not to do it. I know if he were to get lost, and say his ID tags were lost as well, unlikely but possible, there would still be info to get him home. Here's the thing...microchips just remind me of oh, say, alien implants of foreign materials. Not that I've been abducted, that I know of. But the whole idea of it gets under my skin, so to speak. So has anyone had any problems like infections from microchips or maybe abscesses? Noticed any site pain or irritation? Any adverse side effects from having it done?
Jakesworld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2014, 11:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Both my cats and dogs are microchipped, no swelling, irritation, or problems. Delgado had to be chipped twice because apparently the breeder's chip wasn't scanning

I look at it as a safety measure, extra insurance that if something ever did happen that the chances of them finding their way back to you is greatly increased.

The only downfall is to always remember to update your information always if something changes.

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 11:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have 2 that are chipped and one that is not, the one that is not chipped ran away from home one night (tags on collar)..he was not fixed and sprung out of the van lightening quick and ran away, long story short, when we found him his tags were missing collar gone. I dont know what pocessed him to bolt but it was the first and last time he ever did it. I still dont have him chipped, i cant honestly see any cons about them microchipped though. It has proven to be effective in many situations.
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 11:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Mine is chipped I didn't see any negative side effects. I think they said the chip is the size of a grain of rice.

One positive of a microchip aside from running away is if someone stole your dog you could have a way to prove it is yours.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I don't keep a collar on my pup, so to me the chip is very important. There's no disputing ownership with my info on record. I know what you mean about thinking it's strange, lol - but I consider it more like a pacemaker, very valuable!
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 11:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

I don't think I'll ever have a dog that isn't chipped. Never heard of any complications. The peace of mind is well worth it to me.

5 GSDs at the gate: Katie, Iroc, Red, River, Jake
Soundguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 12:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Both of mine are microchiped. Connor has been for 9 years and there has been no problems. I've heard about them coming out, whether it's true or not I don't know. I do have the vet scan him anytime he goes it just to make sure.

My dogs also wear tags. Connor has lost his collar twice in the last couple weeks. Not sure where it is at the moment. I'm sure it's outside somewhere, but we have 8.5 acres of woods. lol.
stmcfred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 12:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Not to steal the thread, but is there a way to remove the chip if you don't want it in your dog? I'm adopting a dog that already has a chip (the current owner never put their info on it, but have all of the paperwork for me to add mine if I want to), and I don't really like anything unnatural in their bodies. None of mine are microchipped, and none wear collars/tags (because it mats their fur). I've never had an issue, but I'm also the exception to the rule, as I tend to be overly-extreme when it comes to responsibility. I love these dogs with my life and would die defending them. So...yeah...extreme probably, but in love nonetheless! Ha.
Sir BEOWULF the Brave {male Sibe | Malamute | Wolf} 5/5/10
counter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 01:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by counter View Post
Not to steal the thread, but is there a way to remove the chip if you don't want it in your dog? I'm adopting a dog that already has a chip (the current owner never put their info on it, but have all of the paperwork for me to add mine if I want to), and I don't really like anything unnatural in their bodies. None of mine are microchipped, and none wear collars/tags (because it mats their fur). I've never had an issue, but I'm also the exception to the rule, as I tend to be overly-extreme when it comes to responsibility. I love these dogs with my life and would die defending them. So...yeah...extreme probably, but in love nonetheless! Ha.
If there are no issues with the tag so far, why bother?
Old 03-14-2014, 02:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApselBear View Post
If there are no issues with the tag so far, why bother?
I just don't want it in him if I'm never going to use it.
Sir BEOWULF the Brave {male Sibe | Malamute | Wolf} 5/5/10
counter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.