German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Vacation planning (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/423794-vacation-planning.html)

Airman1stclass 03-13-2014 12:56 PM

Vacation planning

Just wondering. What do most of yall do with your dog whenever taking vacations. Obviously it depends on where you go, but do you try to set up vacations where dogs are allowed or whay?

Minoli 03-13-2014 01:18 PM

If my vacation is in the state where I reside, then he almost always comes with us. This would consist of camping up north, or at a house on Lake Michigan.

We're fortunate enough that our dog trainer will board him (she's 20 minutes from us), and if she's not available then we have our breeder who is an hour away. My dog loves going to both places, as he runs around and interacts with other dogs the whole time we're gone. He's always exhausted sleeping in the car on the ride home.

LoveEcho 03-13-2014 01:23 PM

When it was just Echo, he came just about everywhere with us. If he couldn't, he would go to my parent's house. Now that the puppy is here, she will get boarded at the breeder's and Echo will still probably go to my parent's house (he doesn't do well being boarded).

SunCzarina 03-13-2014 01:38 PM

I'm a widow with 3 children, if I could put the little people in the kennel and take my dogs skiing, that'd be the perfect vacation.

Seriously though, I live in RI. Summer vacations are pointless because there's no place nicer than home.

wyoung2153 03-13-2014 01:52 PM

I honestly have never taken a vacation that included Titan. Not because I wouldn't want him there, more so the expense and it not generally allowed where I have gone. Most of my vacations consist of a plane and that alone is $500 to start due to his size and the fact the airport ehre is itty bitty. The closest big airport that would fly Titan out, would be about 5 hours away. Other trips that we drove to didnt' allow dogs. But I['m sure like most parents, of fur babies or real babies.. it's nice to have a break every now and then. In the end I have my BF to consider too. He is a very no responsibility on vacation type of person, bringing Titan would add to that so I have to compromise there too.

When I plan a vacation though, Titan is in mind, in the sense of who is caring for him. I have never planned a vacation where he was kenneled because he would be utterly miserable. I have always been able to find a friend that has dogs, knows Titan and can handle his energy. I have one friend in particular that is my go to, and I am hers. She has 2 dogs and we don't charge eachother ever (exceptions are for extended times like my 7 month deployement I paid her monthly for food and convenience.) I watch hers, she watches mine when it's needed. I have back ups if needed. I have also found that it makes a HUGE difference that Titan is well behaved he's a really easy dog to watch.

Remo 03-13-2014 02:07 PM

Since I am miserable on vacation without the dogs, (I find myself hunting down strangers just to pet their dogs) we almost always take vacation with our pooches. We take the last two weeks of September (kids are back in school!) and rent the same house in Outer Banks NC every year.

The house we rent is oceanfront with private pool, hot tub and lighted private walkway to the beach. There are gates set up to confine the dogs if we need to do so.

What is nice is that time of year they are very casual about dogs on the beach. Sasha, Sister and Willy all have a blast running around. The ocean is still warm for swimming and it is not so hot out that we are miserable from the heat.

We realize we are in a vacation rut, but we love it and that is all that matters!

misslesleedavis1 03-13-2014 02:12 PM

We set Dexter up with his bestie and her parents, shigs n tigs stay here with my mom, i dont like leaving them..i miss them when i am away.

Msmaria 03-13-2014 02:15 PM

Because we like camping, we can take the dogs on our vacations at least half the time. Arizona, Colorado , Utah and Northern Ca are pretty dog friendly. When using our timeshare which doesn't allow dogs, we usually find a place close by to leave them, so we can pick them up during the day for outings. Sometimes if travel is by plane or a very long drive, we leave them behind. My old shih tzu always stays behind with a relative in my home.

For example: the lure resort in Northern Ca allows dogs. its one of our favorite spots but we only get to go once every other year. Dex hasn't gone yet, we will probably go this year.
Downieville CA vacation rental and California fly fishing lodge

Msmaria 03-13-2014 02:36 PM

Oops meant to post this. LURE RESORT - A FISHERMAN'S PARADISE.wmv - YouTube

Stosh 03-13-2014 02:40 PM

I have a friend with a small private kennel at her home- she and her husband are around all the time and Stosh loves it there. If she's not available, I take him to Circle Star Pet Resort in Murchison TX. They do agility, obedience training, let the dogs play with others, take them on golf cart rides around the lake or for a hike. It's doggie paradise! See if you can find a place like that.