Tips for adding a second dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2014, 02:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tips for adding a second dog?

Hi everyone!

I posted about this a bit before, but my husband and I have decided to go ahead and do a 'trial run' with a 5 year-old spayed GSD. We currently have a 1 year old unneutered male GSD mix. He is very bubbly, lovable, excitable, and loves other dogs. The GSD needs to be rehomed because she is getting into fights with a female Aussie who just had a litter (hormones and fur are a flyin'!) The owner assures us that the GSD is great with other dogs. We are hoping that they will be a good match for each other.

Any tips for introductions? I've read to introduce them in a 'neutral' place, so I was thinking of introducing them in a neighborhood a few blocks away on a 'walk' and maybe walking them both back home (with the assistance of my husband.) But then what? If it goes well, bring them back home and keep them separated with baby gates? Crate them both? Help! If it doesn't go well, should we just return her immediately? Of course, we will never leave them unsupervised.

You can probably tell I've never owned 2 dogs at the same time before.
Zlata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2014, 02:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Oh my...lol. I'm sure you thought hard about adding a second dog...?

For me, it was more than double the work and although I love my baby girl sometimes I honestly wish I hadn't gotten a second doggie...

When we brought Zeeva home, we kept them separated for a long time (probably a good 3-4 months as Zeeva was a puppy and Smokey was a crazy adolescent). I crated Zeeva and Smokey was usually outside. I had to introduce Zeeva to Smokey with a muzzle on Smokey just in case they didn't get along...luckily it went ok and this was by the time Zeeva was old enough to hold her own ground...

Keep us posted about the 'trial run'! Pictures too please! C:
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 03:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Introduce them on neutral territory, take them for a nice long walk, put away all toys so they don't fight over them, feed the dogs separately, do not leave them alone unsupervised.

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 03:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRen616 View Post
Introduce them on neutral territory, take them for a nice long walk, put away all toys so they don't fight over them, feed the dogs separately, do not leave them alone unsupervised.
Pretty much took the words right out of my mouth

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 03:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeva View Post
Oh my...lol. I'm sure you thought hard about adding a second dog...?

For me, it was more than double the work and although I love my baby girl sometimes I honestly wish I hadn't gotten a second doggie...

When we brought Zeeva home, we kept them separated for a long time (probably a good 3-4 months as Zeeva was a puppy and Smokey was a crazy adolescent). I crated Zeeva and Smokey was usually outside. I had to introduce Zeeva to Smokey with a muzzle on Smokey just in case they didn't get along...luckily it went ok and this was by the time Zeeva was old enough to hold her own ground...

Keep us posted about the 'trial run'! Pictures too please! C:
I would be lying if I told you that we had intentions of adding another dog right at this very moment! It is something that we wanted to do in the future. I specifically had my mind set on an older, female GSD once we were ready to cross that bridge, so to speak. Well, imagine my surprise when my coworker called me up bright and early Sunday morning to tell me that she ran into a friend of hers at a dog show who needed to rehome her 5 year old female GSD ASAP. We drove 2 hours to see her, and we really liked her. So, like the crazy people we are, we decided to give her a go.

We definitely have the resources to add another. I had just planned on waiting until my current dog was a little older. But if I can get everything to go smoothly, then that's not a huge deal to me.
Zlata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 03:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlata View Post
I would be lying if I told you that we had intentions of adding another dog right at this very moment! It is something that we wanted to do in the future. I specifically had my mind set on an older, female GSD once we were ready to cross that bridge, so to speak. Well, imagine my surprise when my coworker called me up bright and early Sunday morning to tell me that she ran into a friend of hers at a dog show who needed to rehome her 5 year old female GSD ASAP. We drove 2 hours to see her, and we really liked her. So, like the crazy people we are, we decided to give her a go.
That's actually very exciting and sweet of you guys!
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 04:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRen616 View Post
This is what I would do!

Take them out to a neutral place and let them get to know each other first!
BensLife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.