German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   My German Shepherd Is Too Mellow (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/422361-my-german-shepherd-too-mellow.html)

gsdluvr 03-10-2014 09:21 PM

My German Shepherd Is Too Mellow

Hi to all: I have a 2 year old male GSD( german show line) intact. He has grown to be a very nice, sweet companion. I guess most people would love to have a dog like this, and I love him dearly. But, I am getting older, and was hoping to own a more drivey dog before I get too old to handle one. In other words, time is not on my side. I was thinking of getting another one. Any opinions?:confused:

Jax08 03-10-2014 09:23 PM

If you have the time and the energy then why not? :)

SuperG 03-10-2014 09:25 PM

Go for it.....you don't get too many second chances in life.

SuperG

Nigel 03-10-2014 09:34 PM

If you can handle it, go for it.

BensLife 03-10-2014 09:47 PM

Like the others said, if you're able to handle it.. Why not? I hope you find the perfect dog!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Tratkins 03-10-2014 10:28 PM

Trade ya! Kidding! We love our little drivey pup, but whew he is a handful! I say go for it! It is a lot of fun (and work), but the reward is so great!

2S1H 03-10-2014 10:31 PM

When you say get "another one" do you mean a second dog or do you want to replace this one?

It could be read either way.

nicky 03-10-2014 11:51 PM

Just had a great idea. Send me your low drive gsd so I can have some time off and I will send you my 11 month old working line,high drive, insane energy, stubborn girl. I will even include her ball. :D

When I first got her we had an older mellow gsd around and he seemed to put her in her place and wouldn't let her be all crazy for too long. I would imagine your nice and sweet guy would be a good influence on another dog.

BensLife 03-10-2014 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2S1H (Post 5172705)
When you say get "another one" do you mean a second dog or do you want to replace this one?

It could be read either way.

"another one" means getting another puppy that will have a bit higher drive! :P

My puppy that's going home in a week will have super high drive coming from police work parents!

selzer 03-11-2014 12:01 AM

I am curious as to what "older" is. It seems to me that "older" sneaks up on us, and once it strikes, and we recognize it, shtuff starts falling off pretty quick. Like today we might feel just fine taking a 5 mile run through the woods, and a year from now we look at the running shoes and wonder how we ever could get them over those ankle braces, and that five mile run turns into a slow jog until we remember that we heard once that jogging is harder on the joints than walking -- usually between 2-3 minutes into the jog.

I guess what I am trying to say, is if you are feeling your age, 5 years from now are you still going to be up for a high energy, high drive dog?

Sometimes we don't get the dog we want, but rather the dog that we need.