German Shepherds Forum banner

My German Shepherd Is Too Mellow

3K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  SARpup 
#1 ·
Hi to all: I have a 2 year old male GSD( german show line) intact. He has grown to be a very nice, sweet companion. I guess most people would love to have a dog like this, and I love him dearly. But, I am getting older, and was hoping to own a more drivey dog before I get too old to handle one. In other words, time is not on my side. I was thinking of getting another one. Any opinions?:confused:

#8 ·
Just had a great idea. Send me your low drive gsd so I can have some time off and I will send you my 11 month old working line,high drive, insane energy, stubborn girl. I will even include her ball. :D

When I first got her we had an older mellow gsd around and he seemed to put her in her place and wouldn't let her be all crazy for too long. I would imagine your nice and sweet guy would be a good influence on another dog.

#10 ·
I am curious as to what "older" is. It seems to me that "older" sneaks up on us, and once it strikes, and we recognize it, shtuff starts falling off pretty quick. Like today we might feel just fine taking a 5 mile run through the woods, and a year from now we look at the running shoes and wonder how we ever could get them over those ankle braces, and that five mile run turns into a slow jog until we remember that we heard once that jogging is harder on the joints than walking -- usually between 2-3 minutes into the jog.

I guess what I am trying to say, is if you are feeling your age, 5 years from now are you still going to be up for a high energy, high drive dog?

Sometimes we don't get the dog we want, but rather the dog that we need.

#11 ·
Wonderful replies from all of you!! Many thanks!

seizer- you are so right. Time is creeping up on me and although I am in good shape, I need to think realistically.

I would never replace my boy, the pup would be an addition.

I have already had a drivey pup here for a while ( taking care for someone else). I raised him from 8 weeks to 41/2mo. He was house trained, crate trained and knew some basic OB when he left. Plus, my older male was a super mentor.

I guess it gave me a taste of owning another different dog as an addition .

It's a very serious decision to me.

#12 ·
Our guy is super mellow too. He's still fairly energetic, but not as much as the steretypical GSD. He might still regain some more of that energy since it has increased since we got him, but he'd grown up a puppy mill stud, so he never got toys or space to run before the shelter. Sometimes the mellow is the right fit. Maybe just spending time with the younger spitfires in your spare time with him like you've been doing will be just the ticket. Glad you got to help raise your "trial pup" to get a better idea what's right for you!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.