Is your GSD a swimmer? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2014, 07:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is your GSD a swimmer?

My last one Cutter not so much, but Rebell is another story. Took him to my dad's house in Vegas @ 13 weeks old and the first thing he does is jump in the pool and swim. Finally fished him out to dry him off, bolts for the pool again and in he goes, swims very well for a youngster, I may have to out a pool in my backyard

Rebell vom Osangute-Land D.O.B. 10/15/13
SoCal Rebell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Video proof or it didn't happen
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2014, 07:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My guys is 117lbs and has "wobblers" so I'll never know, don't know if I could get him out of the water if he had trouble.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2014, 07:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I thought my lab Daisy might help encourage my two girls into swimming and they will, but both prefer to wade around vs actual swimming. Tuke even avoids puddles unless its raining, then I think she just gives up and says **** it.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2014, 07:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Jericho is a swimmer. Sort of....he will go from the shore and swim out, but won't jump off the dock to swim. It's my favorite way to tucker him out.
Melissa98409 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2014, 07:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

all of my dogs love to swim...Kacie the coatie is the water dog though. She will lay in a mudpuddle any chance she gets.
Sadly we don't have access to ponds, lakes or pools that often. Most of the public accesses don't allow dogs during the summer. Lake Michigan has a few dog beaches, but they keep getting more and more rare.
We use to live on a lake and my dogs have always been into fishing/swimming and boating. It is really weird now, that I have no place to take them(other than my trainers pond) to cool off. I am leary of ponds because of the lepto or other bacteria that the dogs may ingest. I didn't like the treated ponds either...but they are safer.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Cruz is a water junky. If he see's a pool of water, no matter if it's either a cup size in a puddle or a lake or pond, he goes nuts. Luvs the wet stuff!
jafo220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2014, 07:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Kinda funny story. In the summer you can't keep Diego out of water. I kept telling my wife he loves water but not baths. We'll of course she didn't believe me. Well our house has three large parks with man made ponds all in a short walking distance and my wife decided to take him to one one night. Well about an hour later they both come in "wet". I asked her what happened and she said they got to the park and at the first chance he just jumped right in and tried to pull her in to play. The sight of her wet from the knees down and him soaked but as happy as could be made my night. So now her and the kids take him to the metro parks every chance they can to play in the river ( kids in shorts, the river is free flowing but not deep where we go, maybe a foot ) and run around the woods.
lennyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2014, 07:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Shockingly yes! It was a really hot day and Finn just walked out into the lake and began swimming around and darting after the fish. Since then, I haven't been able to keep him away from bodies of water, but don't ask him to take a bath.

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
Shaolin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2014, 08:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have a steep driveway down to a weather stripped garage door, drain clogs all the time, a rare 2 days of monsoonal rain, at the end about 12"-15" of standing water. You talk about a puppy having a hey day, he was jumping and playing in that puddle until he wore himself out. He woke up hours later and the puddle had drained. But it made so happy to see him splashing around in his first rainstorm.

Rebell vom Osangute-Land D.O.B. 10/15/13
SoCal Rebell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.