German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Anyone else keeping up with the Iditarod? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/421841-anyone-else-keeping-up-iditarod.html)

shepherdmom 03-10-2014 12:45 AM

Anyone else keeping up with the Iditarod?

Man I'm so bummed that King is ahead of Zirkle and Buser.

Baillif 03-10-2014 07:33 AM

Nope but as a sort do aside comment I've been dealing with the first husky puppy raised from those working racing lines ever at work and they are the toughest puppies I've ever seen right out if the box. 11 weeks old and nothing can faze him. Doesn't sleep much. Always whines to be let out or is watching intently.

Kahrg4 03-10-2014 10:30 AM

Shepherdmom I haven't been following it but I did catch some of the initial starting line photos online. Love seeing all the pups!

Hahaha strap in Baillif. I get the feeling that husky pup is getting ready to take you for a ride!

Baillif 03-10-2014 10:46 AM

Yup hes super vocal has a seemingly bottomless energy supply. Most puppies his age sleep 90% of the day and he only really seems to nap very shortly in the crate until night time. He will shrug off the highest level of physical correction i feel comfortable giving a puppy and come back like it was entertaining. Luckily super food motivated.

shepherdmom 03-10-2014 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baillif (Post 5166177)
Nope but as a sort do aside comment I've been dealing with the first husky puppy raised from those working racing lines ever at work and they are the toughest puppies I've ever seen right out if the box. 11 weeks old and nothing can faze him. Doesn't sleep much. Always whines to be let out or is watching intently.

Wow.... I've heard they are amazing but at 11 weeks? Doesn't sound like they would be good for a pet home.

Baillif 03-10-2014 11:16 AM

Hes not. The family will have a hard time dealing with this guy. He is very objective oriented. He was throwing himself against the glass door repeatedly because they managed to condition him into thinking he could get the door open that way. I tried ignoring it for a while didnt really work. I tried corrections to no avail because i had to open the door to deliver it and thats what he wanted in the first place so unless i "killed" him which i wont do it wouldn't stop it. Finally i played the it opens when you dont jump against it game and finally got it done that way. It hasn't fixed the jumping completely ofc but im trying to create a new superstition. Moving away from the door gets it open.

shepherdmom 03-10-2014 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baillif (Post 5167265)
Hes not. The family will have a hard time dealing with this guy. He is very objective oriented. He was throwing himself against the glass door repeatedly because they managed to condition him into thinking he could get the door open that way. I tried ignoring it for a while didnt really work. I tried corrections to no avail because i had to open the door to deliver it and thats what he wanted in the first place so unless i "killed" him which i wont do it wouldn't stop it. Finally i played the it opens when you dont jump against it game and finally got it done that way. It hasn't fixed the jumping completely ofc but im trying to create a new superstition. Moving away from the door gets it open.

Yikes... sounds like quite the job. :eek:

blackshep 03-10-2014 12:30 PM

That would drive me crazy Baillif!

I'm not keeping up with the Iditarod, but I went dog sledding a few years ago and my guide from that trip just finished the Yukon Quest 2014 1000 mile international dog sled race and came in 8th, so that is pretty cool!

If anyone has the chance to try dogsledding, it's a ton of fun!!

shepherdmom 03-10-2014 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackshep (Post 5167737)

If anyone has the chance to try dogsledding, it's a ton of fun!!

I hate the cold, but love watching it on T.V. :)

mego 03-10-2014 01:22 PM

Baillif do you have pics of the little fiend? That's my friend's favorite breed, she's on the waitlist for a racing line husky pup next year, but she actually sleds her dogs :)

Also is there some place to look at the dogs on these teams? :P I found the individuals bios on the iditarod site and I guess they have their own sites, dang I want to look at the dogs :)