German Shepherds Forum banner

When to Microchip?

2K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  TAR HEEL MOM 
#1 ·
I had Darius in the vet the other day for worming and will have him in again next week for a second round of shots. The vet tech said I shouldn't chip him until I have him neutered because the needle is so big. I wont have him neutered until he is over a year, if I do it at all. So is it bad to have him chipped awake? My other dogs had it awake and I only remember one of them having a cow but he had a cow about ALOT of things! I haven't had a dog for a while so I am slowly getting back into it and this little rescue puppy is sure worming his way into my heart! I want to do all good things for him!

#2 ·
It's nicer to do asleep, but chip plenty if awake dogs. So I would just get it done.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#4 ·
Are chips pretty standardized now or should I get one kind over another? I know people on social media, the first thing people say if someone posts up a found dog, "take it in and see if it is chipped" Good advice but will all chips show up?

#6 ·
Most places have Universal scanners that will read any type of chip. My guys all have different kinds.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#7 ·
The breeder chipped Kaleb the day I purchased him. Yes the needle was big and Kaleb did not like it, but less than 30 seconds afterwards he was running around like nothing happened. He was three months old.

#8 ·
I've had small dogs chipped completely awake; some care about the needle, most don't. In any event, it's a very quick poke so the pain is pretty minimal regardless. I'd just go ahead and get it done :)

#9 ·
I agree it's nicer to do when they're sedated but really I haven't seen a huge reaction. It's a WTH and two seconds later running around like fools again reaction

#10 ·
Nothing wrong with being Chipped awake. I've had two dogs chipped awake and other than a whimper from one, they were completely fine. I know some vets won't do an awake chip, but most do.

#13 ·
We went to a local rodeo/dog show yesterday and a local vet office was there offering a microchip special for $15. Our vet had also recommended waiting until neutering but we decided to go for it. We are going camping next week an didn't want to take a chance. There was no reaction at all from the needle. Our pups have so much excess skin, I don't think he even noticed. He is 15 weeks.

#16 ·
Buddy is my small nerve bag little mutt that is scared of everything and will take any chance to wine about something if he feels it'll in any way MAYBE hurt him.

He got microchipped fully awake with no issues whatsoever. I was amazed. If he can deal with it, any dog can deal with it, lol. He was over a year old when he was microchipped, I didn't have him as a puppy.

#17 ·
I had Rebell in for final shots at 16 weeks, they said I could chip him now, I used Avid chip, didn't even feel it. I'm waiting until at least 18 months to get him neutered if I don't SchH train him.

#23 ·
I chipped Ender a few days ago, shortly after his 3 month "birthday", he didn't even flinch or care at all. And that is definitely a big needle, at least 12-16 gauge! That's much bigger than we use for IV's or shots lol

Zoey our 1.5yr Golden also never flinched or cared about the chip either.

#24 ·
I was doing a little research on pricing and such, I am not sure which chip the vet uses but they charge $42, I don't know what chip animal control uses but they charge $20 and Petco uses Home Again and they charge $15.
I was reading some negative feedback on home again, what is everyones take on that chip? Is there something better I should look to get?

#25 ·
I have had occasion to call each company when chipped dogs come into the shelter. We use Avid and they are always quick to respond and help when they are called. 24-Hr Pet Watch is also good. Sadly, my experiences with Home Again are not as positive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.