German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Our pup and storm/tornado shelters

9K views 44 replies 13 participants last post by  qingcong 
#1 ·
It is getting to be that time again,praying this year we get a break. We had our shelter installed in January, it is a in ground shelter in our garage. We have been slowly getting our kids used to going in the shelter so need to get Abby used to it as soon as possible since spring is quickly going to be upon us. We don't have room for her crate plus the kids and supplies. Plus I will have just minutes to get myself,her and my kids in it and the door shut. We had 10ish minutes notice on May 20th. So any ideas to teach her to go in on her own, it has nice metal stairs once the door is slid open? I have one kiddo who has to be carried down the stairs since he can't do stairs well. I figure we will get a bed to keep down there for her to lay on.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#39 ·
I will have a spot down there to stack two 36" wire crates, and a smaller crate for the Siamese and Italian Greyhound to share. I know these dogs, and if I don't have a way to secure the dogs already in the shelter, then they will just try to bail back out when I go up to get another dog. I can say that I am not looking forward to being in the shelter with an extremely vocal Siamese cat!

#40 ·
Can you practice practice practice......maybe speed drills with the family and the dog? One on one with the dog? Dogs learn to go up and down ladders all the time so it is a matter of training and practice.

#45 ·
It is getting to be that time again,praying this year we get a break. We had our shelter installed in January, it is a in ground shelter in our garage. We have been slowly getting our kids used to going in the shelter so need to get Abby used to it as soon as possible since spring is quickly going to be upon us. We don't have room for her crate plus the kids and supplies. Plus I will have just minutes to get myself,her and my kids in it and the door shut. We had 10ish minutes notice on May 20th. So any ideas to teach her to go in on her own, it has nice metal stairs once the door is slid open? I have one kiddo who has to be carried down the stairs since he can't do stairs well. I figure we will get a bed to keep down there for her to lay on.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
floor preparation washington dc
The wife has mandated that we buy a storm shelter. I'm leaning towards the stand alone out in yard storm shelter. She prefers the in the garage floor style. Her thought is that she doesn't want to have to run through the rain and hail to get to the storm shelter. My thought is that if we really get hit by a tornado, I don't want a house parked on top of my shelter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.