German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Question about Dog Doors???? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/420585-question-about-dog-doors.html)

llombardo 03-07-2014 08:28 AM

Question about Dog Doors????

I'm thinking about installing one. I have an area connected to my house that would be perfect but I have a couple concerns. I already have a 10 x 20 run with a cover that would fit perfectly, I just have to move it. I need something that the cats can't use to go outside, just the dogs. Placement of the door is also in question, can it go under a window or does that compromise any structural things? Since it's connected to the house I'm also concerned about pee, I have one leg lifter. I would have hay down, they love the hay and have no problems going to the bathroom in it. I need a door big enough for a hundred pound dog. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Momto2GSDs 03-07-2014 09:27 AM

We have the door posted below and are very happy with it. It has "double doors" (very sturdy) to keep the cold and heat out. Not sure if your cats would go thru something like this or not.
SB72w We have the 15X24 and more than large enough for our 90# male.

You may need a door that you can use a tag on the collar so that only the dogs would be able to use it: Pet Door Collar Tags | Magnetic | RFID | Electronic | All Electronic Door Tags

Ours is set into the wall right under the window in our laundry room, so that shouldn't be a problem. We don't get any smell from the kennel and our boy has never peed in the area of the door.

Good luck!
Moms:)

shepherdmom 03-07-2014 10:10 AM

We have a two doggie door set up. One double flapped insulated one into the house from the spa room.

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...47252351_n.jpg

From the spa room to the outside we have another one flap door. It is up off the ground outside too keep critters out. Unfortunately Buddy got to old to make the jump so we had to build him a platform.

I doubt there would be any way to keep cats from going thru if we had cats though. Those little boogers like to explore.

Blanketback 03-07-2014 11:33 AM

Thank you, shepherdmom!!! I was contemplating putting one of these in as well, but I never even considered how many critters might use it. Ugh! There's no way I want to invite more of them inside, lol.

Lark 03-07-2014 11:38 AM

We had one for my previous dog that had a flap. the cat never attempted to go out it, but to be honest he was an extremely dumb animal so I don't know if that was why.

shepherdmom 03-07-2014 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blanketback (Post 5151753)
Thank you, shepherdmom!!! I was contemplating putting one of these in as well, but I never even considered how many critters might use it. Ugh! There's no way I want to invite more of them inside, lol.

You're welcome. :) Depends on where you live and what kind of critters you have around. I was worried about snakes. We have been here 10 years and only the dogs and one time my daughter when she locked herself out has used it. LOL

Galathiel 03-07-2014 12:53 PM

Has anyone had experience with the ones that only unlock when the pet with the appropriate collar approaches?

llombardo 03-07-2014 05:23 PM

I was thinking the one with the collar but I could see mine running right into the door when it didn't stay open long enough. I'm thinking one that has a window on it, so I can shut it and lock it when I don't want it to be used. I will always be home when its in use. I don't think the cats would make it out the door with the dogs right there. I'm not worried about critters because it will be completely enclosed and so is the yard. I haven't had any critters besides one squirrel that visits.

llombardo 03-07-2014 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs (Post 5150809)
We have the door posted below and are very happy with it. It has "double doors" (very sturdy) to keep the cold and heat out. Not sure if your cats would go thru something like this or not.
SB72w We have the 15X24 and more than large enough for our 90# male.
Moms:)

What is the Trim to Fit 10" tunnel versus the Trim to Fit 16" tunnel mean?

NormanF 03-07-2014 05:36 PM

You'd be surprised at how small space a GSD can squeeze through. If it can hide under the bed, I imagine it can get through a small dog door with scarcely a problem! ;)