German Shepherds Forum banner

Question about Dog Doors????

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Curtis 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about installing one. I have an area connected to my house that would be perfect but I have a couple concerns. I already have a 10 x 20 run with a cover that would fit perfectly, I just have to move it. I need something that the cats can't use to go outside, just the dogs. Placement of the door is also in question, can it go under a window or does that compromise any structural things? Since it's connected to the house I'm also concerned about pee, I have one leg lifter. I would have hay down, they love the hay and have no problems going to the bathroom in it. I need a door big enough for a hundred pound dog. Thanks for any advice you can give.

#2 ·
We have the door posted below and are very happy with it. It has "double doors" (very sturdy) to keep the cold and heat out. Not sure if your cats would go thru something like this or not.
SB72w We have the 15X24 and more than large enough for our 90# male.

You may need a door that you can use a tag on the collar so that only the dogs would be able to use it: Pet Door Collar Tags | Magnetic | RFID | Electronic | All Electronic Door Tags

Ours is set into the wall right under the window in our laundry room, so that shouldn't be a problem. We don't get any smell from the kennel and our boy has never peed in the area of the door.

Good luck!
Moms:)

#9 ·
We have the door posted below and are very happy with it. It has "double doors" (very sturdy) to keep the cold and heat out. Not sure if your cats would go thru something like this or not.
SB72w We have the 15X24 and more than large enough for our 90# male.
Moms:)

What is the Trim to Fit 10" tunnel versus the Trim to Fit 16" tunnel mean?

#3 ·
We have a two doggie door set up. One double flapped insulated one into the house from the spa room.

From the spa room to the outside we have another one flap door. It is up off the ground outside too keep critters out. Unfortunately Buddy got to old to make the jump so we had to build him a platform.

I doubt there would be any way to keep cats from going thru if we had cats though. Those little boogers like to explore.

#8 ·
I was thinking the one with the collar but I could see mine running right into the door when it didn't stay open long enough. I'm thinking one that has a window on it, so I can shut it and lock it when I don't want it to be used. I will always be home when its in use. I don't think the cats would make it out the door with the dogs right there. I'm not worried about critters because it will be completely enclosed and so is the yard. I haven't had any critters besides one squirrel that visits.

#11 ·
I have a double flap dog door leading from the house to the fenced backyard. I also have a very small, but apparently very smart kitty who has learned to use the door by watching the dogs. The second flap stopped her at first, but no longer. So far, my 8' privacy fence has her stumped.

#14 ·
My saving grace is Midnite, he won't allow it. They have trouble coming down the stairs with him. There is no way they are making it to the door and out it with my professional cat sitter:D

#16 ·
I have one that goes into my fenced backyard that both of my dogs use. I will caution that some training is involved if you want to occasionally lock it, as Empire went at it full speed once when I had it locked. He was OK, but I felt so bad. It's just something that I didn't think about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.