Not the best experience at Obedience II class last night - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2014, 08:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Not the best experience at Obedience II class last night

So this is the third class we have taken at this club. The first two I couldn't say enough praise about. The teachers came in and introduced themselves, gave us folders with info/homework. Gave us contact info and communicated info through email. She asked who planned to show their dog and 2 out of 11 people said they were. Those instantly became her focus in the class and favorite regardless of how their dogs behaved.

Last night was the first night of Obedience II. I feel my dog easily has all the skills needed to complete this class. The trainer never even said her name, gave out no contact info or paperwork. She showed off her not very impressive dog for the first part of the class. Then without any suggestion of what she expected started us heeling our dogs and then just started yelling at the people in the class for everything they did wrong. I could understand if she showed us what she wanted then gave us a chance to practice it but this was with no attempt to show you what she wanted then just yelled when you didn't do it her way. I got yelled at a few times not because my dog didn't do what she wanted but because I didn't use the terminology or hand signals she wanted. This is so frustrating to me because every trainer seems to have different hand signals and commands and then complain when you don't do it their way.

An example was I used heel for my dog to come to my left leg. I have seen this in training videos where the word heel is used for the dog to glue themselves to your left leg and regardless if you are standing in place, pivoting in a circle or walking the command means to stick to your left leg. She yelled at me that heel is only for when you are walking and you just yank on your dog when it gets in front of you. She demanded I just say sit and the dog knows to sit at my side. I am also supposed to use sit to have her sit at a distance and sit for her to sit in front of me. I have no idea how the dog is supposed to distinguish between what to do when. Then she is complaining your dog isn't sitting exactly at your side .. well I can't say the command that she knows to do that.

This continued through the class to almost all the participants. Your dog isn't in place, keep your dog at your side, push her hips to the ground after you say sit once if she doesn't listen. My dog usually leaves training classes super excited and even she was down after this one. This all in the first class before she ever taught us what was expected.

I am thinking of asking if I can switch to the Obedience I class that started the same night. Even though I don't think that is where my dog should be I only do this because I like to work with my dog, she enjoys it and I think it is good to work around other dogs as distractions.

Then when I am leaving she says something to the effect of "We will see you next week, if you decide to come back". That alone had me feeling like she didn't want me there.

Sorry for the rant I woke up still thinking about this class with a pit in my stomach.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2014, 08:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Find another trainer in my opinion. This is supposed to be fun for you and the dog.

We start our 2nd obedience class tonight. Our trainer and my wife have a communication problem sometimes and I feel like a coach. Our pup does pretty good and the German short haired pointers are wild, she focuses more on them and misses ours once in a while.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I would talk to someone at the club about your experience with this particular trainer, particularly since you enjoyed your other encounters there. They should know exactly how she is 'training' so they can address it.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm going to talk to the person that is in charge of Obedience about my experience. I am probably going to ask if changing classes is possible. If not I may do one more and see if my experience improves, if not I will just not finish.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

obedience training was such a fun for us and our puppy, should look for better place with better trainers. I loved trainers we had.
Waldi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2014, 10:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldi View Post
obedience training was such a fun for us and our puppy, should look for better place with better trainers. I loved trainers we had.
I agree 100% this is something I do because I love to work with my dog and she loves it. I am not practicing for a title or trial.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

UPDATE! I talked to the registrar of the club who couldn't apologize enough and thanked me for letting her know. She said this teacher would not ever be allowed to teach at the club again after this class. She said she had words with her after our class and the trainer was extremely negative and angry. One women complained to her after class, one other guy withdrew after the class and she said she has two others to call back still. So that is 5 out of 11 in one day. She offered to move my payment to the next Obedience II, refund the money or put in in Obedience I. I decided to redo Obedience I just because I want my dog to work around other dogs. I'm glad to hear they were so responsive and it wasn't just in my head.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Good to hear they are handling responsibly and glad to hear folks are providing the feedback.
GSDAlphaMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2014, 12:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Nice outcome. Glad to hear it.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okin View Post
UPDATE! I talked to the registrar of the club who couldn't apologize enough and thanked me for letting her know. She said this teacher would not ever be allowed to teach at the club again after this class. She said she had words with her after our class and the trainer was extremely negative and angry. One women complained to her after class, one other guy withdrew after the class and she said she has two others to call back still. So that is 5 out of 11 in one day. She offered to move my payment to the next Obedience II, refund the money or put in in Obedience I. I decided to redo Obedience I just because I want my dog to work around other dogs. I'm glad to hear they were so responsive and it wasn't just in my head.
Any insight on why she was so very unprofessional ?
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.