Crated at Night in Garage - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2014, 04:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Crated at Night in Garage

I spend the whole waking 16-hour day with Ruger, my 2+ year old GSD. I work from home so he's with me in my home office all day. We take two long exercise walks a day, and usually break mid afternoon to play fetch in the yard. Ruger goes with me in my truck whether it's to the hardware store or to the gym. I literally spend no less than 16 hours a day with Ruger and I enjoy it as much as he does.

But at night I want my room to myself. And because Ruger wants to eat my cat (who started living outside since the dog arrived 2 weeks ago), I have to create an environment that's safe for the cat in case she decides to come inside. I live in the downstairs of my 2 story house. There's a kitchenette/office, bathroom, my bedroom, and the garage. The upstairs of my house is rented out and is off-limits.

The kitchenette/office is too cramped for Ruger's 48" crate. My bedroom I want to myself and I leave the window open so the cat can safely drop in. There is no other place to crate Ruger at night except the garage. I leave the door from the garage to the hallway open so he's not completely cut off.

If this works, I'd like this to be our permanent setup. Is it OK for an adult GSD to be crated at night in the garage (with the door from the garage to the hallway left open), as a permanent arrangement? I've been having him sleep in his crate for the past 1 week in the office, tonight is the first night I'm having him sleep in his crate in the garage. I'm glad to get that huge crate out of my office now. I can't let him be loose in the office at night because the cat door is in the office, in case the cat decides to come home.

I hope I'm not being a bad dog owner. I don't know what else I can do.

Last edited by scottkeen; 03-05-2014 at 04:51 AM.
scottkeen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2014, 05:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I don't think that is bad at all.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2014, 06:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Oh, man, i know how that feels.
Kali also would like to eat the cats.. but this is only because she wants to play with the furry demons, and they don't agree/dont have the same play style. 2 months after she's been in the house and the cats barely started to get used to seeing her around. im still too scared to let them in the same room unattended. she's a high energy dog and she gets excited SO easily at seeing her 'brothers.' the kitchen and the larger balcony attached to it are now her territory. i feel bad about it, but for now this is the only way to avoid bad things from happening. u.u
Me_and_Kali is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2014, 08:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

I personally think its bad, but thats coming from me not crating any of my dogs (3) and them sleeping in the bed with me.

So unfortunately I think its wrong to isolate your dog when he's such a huge part of your day and you just let the CAT run free.

Thats wrong. Lock the cat up.
nikon22shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2014, 09:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg

Having never own or lived with a cat in my life, I'm somewhat bewildered ?

The dog is a new arrival, I understand wanting to keep the cat safe, same as the GSD pup eating my Jack later in life, but they are bonding everyday.

Don't know about training a GSD to coexist with a cat, but I would be researching that --- so both can be with you at night. The garage is fine short term, but if your in a cold climate, then the dog takes a back seat and God forbid an intruder enters at night, your cat don't care and the dog is locked away..

I have no issue with a dog being put in a crate ..
sehrgutcsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2014, 09:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Dogs and cats, particularly in a case where the dog has too much interest in the cat, should not be unsupervised, including at night when you are sleeping. I'm not sure how it's fair that the cat is now relegated to outdoors (very dangerous) because of the new kid coming in. It's only fair that he has some peace in the house so that the cat can come in.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have gates for my cats to have safe spots in the house. I could never leave my dogs out in the garage. Prefer to have them around me whereever I am.
Usually the cat is the one that sets the dynamics of the relationship. They can own it and not run, or they can be scaredy cats and entice the dog to chase.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Absolutely nothing wrong with crating your dog in the garage.
dpc134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2014, 10:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon22shooter View Post
Dogs are den animals, they'd be a whole lot happier locked up than a cat would.

OP, while I like having my dog in the house with me and having her crated in the garage would not be ideal for me, however I certainly don't think your dog will suffer being in the garage for overnight, as long as the temps aren't too extreme.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2014, 10:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

I can't let him be loose in the office at night because the cat door is in the office, in case the cat decides to come home.

Just wondering, and maybe others can chime in - if the dog is crated in the office securely and the cat comes in the office then it seems like the cat would be safe from the dog?

So unfortunately I think its wrong to isolate your dog when he's such a huge part of your day and you just let the CAT run free.

I disagree with this, and not to start an argument but the cat should be equally important. It is his house too, and he already has been partially uprooted due to the dog. I have had both cats and dogs, and it can be hard for noncat people to understand, but they are just as special as dogs.
Lark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.