What about small dogs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2014, 03:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What about small dogs?

With the bite threads going, I'm led to consider the small breed dogs. Many of those are far more aggressive and more difficult to control than the large "bully" breeds.

I have a Chi and he's bitten my five year old daughter in the face, once. ONCE. If he were a larger dog, he could have caused damage. The only reason he isn't gone is b/c he's too small to cause serious damage and b/c I'm willing to be diligent about supervision of the two together. I will never trust him completely with her.

So- the small breeds, like Chi's are very aggressive! They're even harder to control b/c they're stubborn and headstrong, have a tendency to consider themselves alpha no matter how much they're worked with. (This is a generalization, of course! And a bit extreme, but it's just to get the ball rolling). My Chi has to be reminded on regularly, from several times per week, to several times per day, that he is not the boss and that he must comply and follow the rules. He's a growler, and he's bitten at least three people, lunged at two, not including my daughter. Sometimes my Chi is more of a commitment than a love relationship :/ The best advice I was ever given was to treat him just the same as a large breed- no pampering, no spoiling.

I'm interested in others' perspective on little/toy breeds and their temperament in their own experiences. Do you think they're worse than the 'bully' breeds, bad rap, or human ignorance?
A girl and her dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2014, 04:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think human ignorance.

You take a GSD six month old puppy. If it started barking and growling and nipping at it's owner, the owner would realize he/she has a problem and take steps to correct the behavior. They would take the behavior seriously.

You take a Chi six month old puppy. It exhibits the exact same behavior as I mentioned. The owner thinks it's funny. "Look how brave my little boy is! He thinks he's a big dog!" and the owner will continue to encourage this behavior by showing off to all of his/her friends the behavior.

Human ignorance.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 04:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

I am going to espouse a very unpopular opinion.

I agree with you. Most small dogs are allowed to be jerks. People don't care, because as you said " he is too small to do damage". I get that and it ticks me off.

But it makes sense. The danger in having a large breed dog of ANY size is damage done. In all my years I have come across 1 death by toy dog. 1. They are just not as dangerous. Does not mean they are less likely to bite. Just that when they do, it's not lethal.

It irks me to no end that people allow the behavior. To me dogs are dogs. A dog would not be allowed to remain in my house if it bit my child. Period. I don't have kids though. But it's a line drawn. Just because a dog is small does not mean it should be allowed to be aggressive.

I have a friend with the meanest Chi on the planet, 32 bites so far. Never broken skin, so it's allowed to slide. If that dog was 30 lbs heavier, it would have been euthanized.

I can't stand when people make the excuse of, " he is too small to cause damage" pet peeve if mine. Cause if it was my GSD, no excuses allowed.

But that's the way of the world. If you are attacked by a Chi, no big deal, if you are attacked by a Pitbulls, you are in the hospital. But that's why I think that Pitts are dangerous. Because when they attack, the main and kill. Not because I think they are more aggressive than a Chi, but because they can kill someone.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 03-04-2014, 04:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
I think human ignorance.

You take a GSD six month old puppy. If it started barking and growling and nipping at it's owner, the owner would realize he/she has a problem and take steps to correct the behavior. They would take the behavior seriously.

You take a Chi six month old puppy. It exhibits the exact same behavior as I mentioned. The owner thinks it's funny. "Look how brave my little boy is! He thinks he's a big dog!" and the owner will continue to encourage this behavior by showing off to all of his/her friends the behavior.

Human ignorance.
Absolutely

People get shocked at how well behaved my poodle is in public, she doesn't growl or snap or bark like a maniac. I treat her the same way I treat my GSD - with respect and I expect the same in return.

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 04:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
I think human ignorance.

Human ignorance.

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
I think human ignorance.

Human ignorance.
Yes. I have never had little dogs, but my husband grew up with chihuahuas. He has a soft spot for the little guys so we added a chihuahua/dachshund mix to the family (a rescue, not a "designer" dog). We brought her home at 12 weeks and raised her the same way we've raised our other dogs. She's now 7.5lbs and will be 3 years old in April, and she's every bit as much of a dog as the others are. She's friendly with other people and dogs, very social, obedient, and athletic. She takes a 5 mile off-leash hike in stride and then comes home and snuggles with you. Never once has she growled at or bitten any one.
osito23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 04:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

My husband has a small dog (he had him prior to meeting me), and he is far more aggessive than my GSD. And I agree - if my pup had acted that way he would be corrected but I think he allowed his to behave like a lunatic because he is so small.

btw - a GSD is not a bully breed. What is a Bully Breed?: Animal Planet
Lark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 04:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I think human ignorance.

Human ignorance.
Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Mocha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 04:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I used to think all small dogs were worthless pieces of crap! But then because of the nature of my work, I met clients that put a lot of work into there tiny dogs. I was impressed and really liked a couple of them.

So today my attitude is different, if it's got ears and four feet (can't say a tail cause I'm a Boxer guy!)

I would expect "my" small dog to be as well behaved as my "real" dogs! If that takes more time and training then it takes more time and training! In the mean time my little guy would not be given an opportunity to display what an A hole he is public venues!
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 04:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
I think human ignorance.

Human ignorance.
Right on.
misslesleedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.