Shiloh Shepherds - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2014, 02:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Shiloh Shepherds

We have what I believe to be a Shiloh Shepherd at the shelter. She is a beautiful dog with a lovely temperament. I have read up on this relatively new breed and, although I am very against messing around with genes to change the size of a breed, it sounds like the breeders are also breeding for a straight back and extremely gentle temperament, both qualities I value. Wondering what others on here think about these dogs? I am trying to form an opinion.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 02:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

i have only been around one, very nice.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014, 03:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My opinion... I'm glad they created a new breed if they wanted a GSD that was oversized and without the GSD temperament.
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014, 03:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Well I'm kinda new to the hold GSD thing. The Over Size GSD thing was a surprise to me? I saw my nephews dog a and they looked kinda small?? Then working line show line and it goes on and on...
then temperament and nerve.

And Shiloh's and King shepherd's, dogs that look like gsd'S but aren't GSD's? The one thing regarding those two that I have heard said consistently is that they really are easy going dogs. If you want a dog that looks like a GSD but don't have a need or desire to deal with some of the challenges that can come along with the real thing and you like the dog for who and what he is... I don't think you could go wrong.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014, 03:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Well said Chip.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have fostered hundreds of GSDs over the years, and just a couple of Shiloh Shepherds. All of the Shilohs were huge, but in my opinion, a bit stubborn. From my experience they are not nearly as compliant as most GSDs.

We had a GSD/Malamute cross and he was a lot like the Shilohs. He knew lots of commands, but would only cooperate if there was something in it for him!

Lea

Good Dogs for Good Homes
Virginia German Shepherd Rescue
www.shepherdrescue.org
Remo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014, 03:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
I have fostered hundreds of GSDs over the years, and just a couple of Shiloh Shepherds. All of the Shilohs were huge, but in my opinion, a bit stubborn. From my experience they are not nearly as compliant as most GSDs.

We had a GSD/Malamute cross and he was a lot like the Shilohs. He knew lots of commands, but would only cooperate if there was something in it for him!
LOL stubborn try Female Boxers!

Oh your sericeous?? Was pretty much her initial response to a command/suggestion??

Still thats the kind of thing it's important to know with a different breed.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 05:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

havent seen one in person but I have researched them a little. Looks wise they are gorgeous so I hope to get to see one in person

Tom

Penny - 9/7/12 (GSD)

Abbi -5/9/09-12/7/12 (GSD)
TommyB681 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 12:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

I talked to several breeders some yrs back & was under whelmed. The impression that I rec'd was that the temperament -for my tastes- is too uber soft & there are a fair # of weak nerved, wonky temperaments in the breed. Hips are somewhat worse than GSDs on average (which was among the founder's staed reasons for developing a new breed) & they have numerous health problems as well. One of the breeders I spoke to at length, who was at one time a major player in the Shiloh world, was extremely disillusioned with the world & initially moved on to Kings, left Kings for many similar reasons & wound up importing several East German border patrol GSDs which she seemed extremely happy with.

JMO...I much prefer GSDs. Shilohs are gorgeous but there are too many problems within the breed. Note that afficianadoes of the breed have been actively addressing the problems for some yrs, so there is hope, especially with the founder out of the picture, imo. But for myself, I'll stick with GSDs. They simply suit me better.
RubyTuesday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 01:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thanks. The one we have at the shelter is a female, name of Liza. She is a really beautiful and nice dog, so I just wondered about this breed. I got a chance to brush her and it was heaven! Liza is way overweight. I wonder if that is just an individual problem or if the breed has a propensity for weight gain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.