Should I add this GSD to my home? On the fence... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2014, 10:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Should I add this GSD to my home? On the fence...

I currently have a 1 year old GSD mix that I've had since he was 7 weeks old. I also have two cats. My GSD mix is very loving and excitable. He loves all dogs and people (sometimes a little too much... he can get a little *too* excited.) I had plans of adding another dog to our mix, but sometime in the future.

Well, long story short, my coworker has a friend who has a 5 year old GSD she is looking to rehome. I went out and met the GSD today. She is a very sweet girl. She comes from German working lines and her sire has some national Schutzhund titles. Her current owner attempted to do some Schutzhund with her, but she confessed that she prefers to do agility with her other Aussies more so she stopped doing Schutzhund. She seems very biddable and eager. Even though she is 5, she still had good energy, but she settled down in the house nicely, too.

Her owner wants to rehome her because there have been fights breaking out between the GSD and her Aussie. Both dogs got along fine for years until the Aussie was attacked by a different GSD. Now, the Aussie instigates fights. Things got even worse when the Aussie gave birth to a litter, and now both dogs have to be separated completely. They built an outdoor run connected to the garage for the GSD. Today was the first time the GSD had been in the house in 4 months. The owner assures me that the GSD does fine with other dogs and plays well with others... just not her Aussie.

The owner fully admits that she likes the Aussie more, and she will choose the Aussie over the GSD. The owner also said she owned GSDs her entire life, but when her last GSD died, nothing could compare. Someone bought her the current GSD as a gift, and she admits that it was unfair of her to compare them, but she never truly bonded with the current dog. The current owner is now "onto Aussies," so to speak. I can't help but to feel bad for this dog.

Anyway, I am interested in bringing her home to do a trial run. We also have cats, so it's important to me that the new GSD can get along with cats (current owner has barn cats but not any house cats, so she couldn't comment on that.) If I do decide to do a trial, new GSD will not be left unsupervised with any of my animals. I just want to make that clear.

Is this a bad idea? Should I be running the other way screaming? I don't want to jeopardize my current fur family. But I do think that she is a sweet girl, and I think that she would get along well with my current GSD mix under the right circumstances. I've also never had two dogs at once, so if I do decide to bring her home for a trial run, I hope that someone can provide tips and insight. I figure I can't lose anything by doing a trial run, but I don't want to place unnecessary stress on my fur family, of course. Any advice is appreciated.
Zlata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2014, 10:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Location: From England but have been living in New Zealand for 7 years

I would say if you want her because you feel bad for her then it's the wrong reason. If you want her because this is the kind of second dog you were hoping to introduce at some point anyway, then go for a trial.

My concerns would be;

1. The safety of your cats.

2. The length of the trial, in my experience there is usually a honeymoon period of a couple of weeks before you see the true colours of the trial dog. Would you get too attached in that time, and would you be able to fairly assess whether it's going to work?

3. The safety of your cats.

Let us know what you decide
"Comrie" and "Mouse" cats 7 and 3 years

Still missing my shadow "Oscar" the most faithful dalmatian 01/02/02 - 16/03/12
Charlie W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2014, 10:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Your other dog is a male, so that is a plus.

The cat thing might be problem. I had my two GSD girls and then bought a kitten. I've resigned myself to keeping the cat separate from the shepherds. Sage loses her mind when she sees the cat, and the cat isn't afraid of her. She's a delicate little Siamese kitty, and I just can't trust Sage not to run her down. I love them all, so I'm willing to put up with a little inconvenience to make it work.

Carly ~ AKC Ch, GCh pointed, HIC
Sage ~ AKC Ch pointed (13 pts - chasing that last major), HIC
Russell ~ future show dog
Zelda ~ 14 yo puppymill rescue Italian Greyhound
dogfaeries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2014, 11:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses! I admit, too, that my current dog's training isn't 100% to where I want it to be. He's still so young, and he is still very much an excitable puppy. I am thinking that I should devote more time to getting him to where I'd like him to be before adding another (granted, very well-behaved and trained) dog to the mix. I also don't want to let my emotions get the best of me! I tend to get attached.
Part of me would like to give it a whirl for a week or so. The other part of me is saying, noooo! If only I could get my current dog to be as calm and relaxed as this new dog... LOL
Zlata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014, 12:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

Location: From England but have been living in New Zealand for 7 years

I think you just answered your own question!
"Comrie" and "Mouse" cats 7 and 3 years

Still missing my shadow "Oscar" the most faithful dalmatian 01/02/02 - 16/03/12
Charlie W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014, 09:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I think you should try it! She sounds amazing.
glowingtoadfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014, 09:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

She's probably not getting along with the Aussie because the Aussie is also female. She might do great with your male because he is the opposite sex, being 4 years apart in age will also help.

If she's well behaved she might help calm your male down and teach him how to behave.

If you like her then give it a try, I would!

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Also, if you decide not to take her have the current owner put her up for adoption here in the rescue subforum. At least she will have an audience of GSD lovers here who may be able to give her a good forever home.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

If you DO decide to take her, make sure you introduce the dogs on neutral territory (but not a dog park) where they can interact for a few hours before taking her to your home. Maybe ask a friend, who has a large fenced in yard that your dog has never been to, if you could borrow it for a while. Keep them on leash and controlled.

Good luck!
Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014, 11:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlata View Post
I am thinking that I should devote more time to getting him to where I'd like him to be before adding another (granted, very well-behaved and trained) dog to the mix.
OP, I think your own answer to your question is awesome! This was certainly my thinking as I read your post. Your youngster deserves all your attention and effort at this point. Once he has become the best dog he can be, with your help and guidance, then look for another dog to add to your home.
Sheilah
sit,stay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.