Short Fence plus Electronic In-Ground Fence? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2014, 12:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Short Fence plus Electronic In-Ground Fence?

In another thread, I was asking about fence height for my small side yard. Most of the answers were "the fence should be at least 6-feet high". I was hoping a 4-feet high fence would be sufficient, because I have such a beautiful sunset ocean view (I live in Hawaii) and I'd hate to block it with any fence at all.

I went to Lowes to ask about fencing, and the guy suggested going with a 4-feet high fence with an in-ground electronic fence running the perimeter of the physical fence. After awhile, he said, the dog will stop going near the physical fence and you can disable the in-ground fence. But the physical fence also helps keep neighbor kids and stray dogs away.

This sounds like a good idea to me. Is it?

If it is, I'd like to "open up" the west (ocean) facing side of my fencing and put in hedges instead of a fence. On the west edge of my property, it slopes off sharply down 30 feet. If the dog jumped the hedge, he wouldn't see where he was landing, and he'd land about 6 feet below grade down the slope face.

Please see my sketches. I'm also boxing out the hot tub area with fencing as it's too easy for the dog get up on the hot tub cover, and I don't want any fencing at all blocking the ocean view from the hot tub.

Would this combination of 4-feet high fence, hedges on the slope, plus the in-ground electronic fence work?

My dog Ruger is a very good-behaved dog, he hasn't shown himself to be a jumper or digger. He gets walked about 1.5 hours total per day and we play fetch usually in the afternoon.

scottkeen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2014, 09:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Since your yard looks kind of small, and the e fence backs the dog off even more, there won't be much space for your dog if that's the option.

I think I'd get the 4' fence, not with the e-fence, and then not leave the dog out unless I was in the yard with it.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2014, 09:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

My GSD has never jumped my 4' fence.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2014, 09:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri & The Gang View Post
My GSD has never jumped my 4' fence.
None of our dogs through the years have ever jumped our fence either.

Is the fence on the property line? If not, I don't see why you couldn't bury the radio fence outside the physical fence. To counter M.R.L.'s dilemma of space.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp00ks View Post
None of our dogs through the years have ever jumped our fence either.

Is the fence on the property line? If not, I don't see why you couldn't bury the radio fence outside the physical fence. To counter M.R.L.'s dilemma of space.
Yes, on the tree line side, the fence is on my property line. On the patio table side, I have a little strip of yard on that side of the house but we're not allowed to have fencing past that edge of the house. I could bury the e fence outside the physical fence on that side, but wouldn't that defeat the purpose of keeping Ruger away from jumping the physical fence?

As for MRL's concern about the e fence encroaching into an already small space, I think I read that you can set the effective range of the e fence from 1 to 10 feet from the wire. If I set it to 1 foot, I think there wouldn't be too much space lost, although Ruger could then jump the fence from >1 foot away.

Good to hear that some people's dogs don't jump their 4 feet fence.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

This is what we did for our foster boxer who could jump our 6 foot stockade fence.

We put the in-ground wire around the top of our fence.....used brackets made for electric farm fences. This gave him access to the whole yard but if he would go to jump the correction would drop him in the air. He was shocked once and then never tried again. Our yard is small so we didn't want to loss any space for him to use.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
nktigger99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2014, 01:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nktigger99 View Post
This is what we did for our foster boxer who could jump our 6 foot stockade fence.

We put the in-ground wire around the top of our fence.....used brackets made for electric farm fences. This gave him access to the whole yard but if he would go to jump the correction would drop him in the air. He was shocked once and then never tried again. Our yard is small so we didn't want to loss any space for him to use.

Awesome!! Glad to hear a real-world story of it actually working.

How did you handle a gate in the fence? Does the wire have to run in a continuous loop?
Old 03-01-2014, 02:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

This is a picture I took of Ruger next to my neighbor's 4' high fence. He uses the fence to keep his full-grown chow "Koda" contained, and Koda has never once jumped the fence. I want to get this same fence as my neighbor's.

Ruger could probably jump this fence (I doubt he could climb it because there are no boards to climb against for his hind feet), but maybe in conjunction with the e-fence, he won't even try it.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

We just went through that area.....he used brackets that held it above the level of the fence so it still open and closed...you had to be careful if you had to carry things through the gate.....I snagged it on branches..... If the dog was leaving the area the collar was off.

Yes it had to be in a loop....we ran it on the edge of the roof to get back to the transmitter.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

This was a last ditch effort to keep him in the yard....he would jump the fence even while we were out there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.