German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Cancer fron chiping? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/417314-cancer-fron-chiping.html)

SoCal Rebell 02-27-2014 06:18 PM

Cancer fron chiping?

I heard on the news that putting a chip in your dog severely increases your pet's chances of getting cancer. I only bring this up because I had to put down my all to young 8.5 year old GSD. He was chipped and got the big C.

Anybody else hear anything to this effect.

Susan_GSD_mom 02-27-2014 06:32 PM

Scary--what type of cancer? Both of my rescues are chipped!

gsdsar 02-27-2014 06:35 PM

There have been some reports if dogs and cats developing a sarcoma at the chip site. The risk in minimal(sorry about your dog). But it does not extend generally to systemic cancers.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

jocoyn 02-27-2014 07:24 PM

I think a whole lot of dogs are getting cancer and so many different things could be the smoking gun.

Jax08 02-27-2014 07:35 PM

Our Boxer was chipped as a puppy. She was 2 weeks shy of 14 when we lost her. Jax is chipped and 6. I do not believe it causes systematic cancer.

Chicagocanine 02-28-2014 03:05 PM

There are some documented instances of tumors forming around or next to a microchip, but it is pretty rare. In no way does a chip "severely increase" the cancer risk.

Shade 02-28-2014 03:07 PM

All my animals are chipped, even my cats and I did research it first and didn't feel that the concern was big enough to outweight the benefits.

SoCal Rebell 02-28-2014 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan_GSD_mom (Post 5105626)
Scary--what type of cancer? Both of my rescues are chipped!

It was either abdominal or spleen cancer, he was also bleeding internally, they stuck a needle in his abdomen and drew out blood. I took him to The Animal Specialty Group the said he would not make it through the night it was immediate surgery $7K and only gave him a 20% chance of success. I mercifully euthanized that night.

Next day grieving i gave online search for a replacement pup I found a 10 week old who's Pedigree included Ursus vom Batu as his grandfather, I looked at me deceased GSD Pedigree and sure enough his grandfather was also Ursus vom Batu, bought him that day. I now have a 15 month old monster but he has some of Cutter's bloodline :D

Chicagocanine 02-28-2014 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal Rebell (Post 5112794)
It was either abdominal or spleen cancer, he was also bleeding internally, they stuck a needle in his abdomen and drew out blood. I took him to The Animal Specialty Group the said he would not make it through the night it was immediate surgery $7K and only gave him a 20% chance of success. I mercifully euthanized that night.

That sounds like it might have been hemangiosarcoma. I lost my GSD to this too. I don't think a microchip would have anything to do with this.
Unfortunately GSDs have a high incidence of this type of cancer.

huntergreen 03-03-2014 03:00 PM

these chips, at least the ones my dogs have, are not stationary, so i doubt they cause cancer at a specific sight.