German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Master of Pee (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/416746-master-pee.html)

iblishaitan 02-26-2014 02:26 PM

Master of Pee

Hey folks,

So my puppy who is around 3 months and weighs 18 pounds....
He cant hold his pee.
Now I understand he is small and the bladder cant hold it, but this is not the problem.

The thing is, The second I open the door of his crate he pees.
I have tried distracting him, not paying any attention, so he does not get excited but he pees the second the door opens.

I literally carry him down three flights of stairs and out side in my arms, so he does not pee on the floor, but now he just keeps peeing while he is in my arms.

It has come to the point, where I have to lightly squeeze his penis, just so he does not pee on me while I run downstairs and out the house.

=====

On the other hand, he is pretty good about holding his pee, I take him out around 11 pm and he is fine until 9 am. I take him out at 7:30 am before I leave for work, so he can pee and poop.

The peeing right after coming out of the crate happens every time, if he is there for 5 mins or 8 hours. the second he is out he will pee. I understand accidents happen. however he has made a habit.
my question is on how to break his habit or make him hold 30 more seconds while I take him out.

Also when I am home I take him out every hour so he can relieve himself.

Athena'sMom 02-26-2014 02:42 PM

First, I would move his crate closer to the door. Second, how do you greet him, if you are over excited he maybe getting excited as well. Keep voice and emotions calm and encourage pup to go outside. Praise praise praise..

iblishaitan 02-26-2014 03:04 PM

I avoid greeting, I will get up, not look at him not say anything, he watches me, I will put shoes on and then slowly unlatch the crate, he will come out side, the second his hind legs are on the carpet he pees.

Lilie 02-26-2014 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iblishaitan (Post 5095482)

On the other hand, he is pretty good about holding his pee, I take him out around 11 pm and he is fine until 9 am. I take him out at 7:30 am before I leave for work, so he can pee and poop.

You post is a little confusing. How long does he stay crated? When you take him out every hour (when you are home) do you carry him down the stairs as well?

Be honest with yourself, you don't have to post it, but when he potties coming out of the crate, what do you do/say?

Serbrider 02-26-2014 03:35 PM

My pup would pee as soon as she comes out of her crate, so I immediately pick her up and take her outside. As I keep the same schedule and she gets older (so she can hold her bladder better), I put her leash on and walk her outside, and then eventually allow her to walk herself to the door. But at first, I don't even give her the chance to walk herself to the door, because right now, carpet and grass feel the same, and she would pee there immediately. ;)

Is there a way maybe, while he's still such a puppy, put something out on your balcony to mimic "going outside"? Something like these:
https://www.google.com/search?q=outs...w=1252&bih=610

Not a permanent thing, and doesn't have to be nice, just a square of grass in a flat box or something, just so he learns to ONLY pee on grass outside, and on your command... that you can put out on your balcony instead of running down three flights of stairs as he's already peeing.

Still take him out as often as possible where you WANT him to go as an adult... but for those "I CAN'T HOLD IT MOM" moments, maybe something like that?

wolfy dog 02-26-2014 05:35 PM

Maybe he is in his crate too long from 11.00 PM till 7.30 Am. Get up at 6.00 and see if it is still a problem.

iblishaitan 02-27-2014 10:29 AM

He is not in the crate all day, We take him out every hour or two, sometimes he will have an accident in the middle. (he is only crated when we sleep or leave the house) otherwise he is with us in the house.

The last time he goes out is 11 pm after which he is locked in his crate.
He lets us know when he needs to go pee and poo by howling. anywhere from 4am to 6am He is pretty good about pooping, he does it outside on the grass. But he will pee as soon as he comes out of the crate.

I have to hold him and run down the stairs. and not let him off until I am outside. And while he is in my arms he will pee.

The problem is not that we do not take him out to pee, He tells us when he has to go, The problem is he pees the second he comes out of his crate.

Lilie 02-27-2014 12:22 PM

If he doesn't have a medical problem - such as a UTI which could result in his inablility to hold his urine....

And he is letting you know that he needs to go potty by vocalizing in his crate before he goes.....

And you are taking him out often enough and leaving him out long enough to totally empty his bladder....

Then my GUESS would be submissive urination. Without knowing exactly what you are doing when you scoop him up, without knowing exactly what your pup is telling you when you race down the stairs, without knowning how you are reacting when your pup loses it's bladder in your arms....it's difficult to try and figure this out. But if as you say, your pup is ONLY potting when it comes out of it's crate - and you know it's going to - and you grab it before it can - yet it still pees on you, I suspect it's submissive urination.

iblishaitan 02-27-2014 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilie (Post 5102338)
If he doesn't have a medical problem - such as a UTI which could result in his inablility to hold his urine....

And he is letting you know that he needs to go potty by vocalizing in his crate before he goes.....

And you are taking him out often enough and leaving him out long enough to totally empty his bladder....

Then my GUESS would be submissive urination. Without knowing exactly what you are doing when you scoop him up, without knowing exactly what your pup is telling you when you race down the stairs, without knowning how you are reacting when your pup loses it's bladder in your arms....it's difficult to try and figure this out. But if as you say, your pup is ONLY potting when it comes out of it's crate - and you know it's going to - and you grab it before it can - yet it still pees on you, I suspect it's submissive urination.

I see, I am going to research further on submissive urination, as this is the first time I have heard about it. Thanks everyone for their input.