German Shepherds Forum banner

GSDand Apartment life

5K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  TommyB681 
#1 ·
Why is it that countless people say you should never own a GSD if you live in an apartment (even if it's 3 bedroom), but then the same people will say to be sure to kennel your dog during the day while you're at work?

These people will highly advise against letting your GSD run around a fenced yard all day and want it to be kept inside and safe in a kennel (which I agree with by the way). If the GSD is going to be kept in a kennel during the work day anyway, what difference does it make if the kennel is in the apartment or a house?

#2 ·
It really doesn't matter if your house is 500 square feet or 5,000 square feet. As long as the dog is being fulfilled both mentally and physically then there is no difference and they will be happy :)

#3 ·
I think a GSD can do just as well in an apartment as in a house, as long as their exercise requirements are being met. Just because you live in a house, doesn't mean you're giving the dog more exercise.

That said, I waited until I'd sold my condo and moved into a house, just because I was worried the GSD would be barking at people in the hall and would disturb neighbours.

#5 ·
I'm not sure about some people, but I think my reasoning would be that in order to exercise and potty the dog, you would need to leave your property, and could not be off leash. The dog might not get the mental and physical exercise it needs if the owner has to leave or travel a distance to exercise the dog.

I definitely think it's doable honestly; it just takes work, extra work, and a lot of people aren't willing to work around the dog that much.

Personally, it's worked out fine in my situation. I'm (temporarily) in a two-story condo and have no trouble exercising and training the dog outside of the house. There is another GSD in the building, though, that is a bored, aggressive, nervy mess, because the owners don't go out of their way to work with her.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#8 ·
I have a GSD and Siberian Husky that share my 500 sq ft studio apt with me. We walk, train, hit the trails, go to the park, and do lots of fun puzzles. They do great. Although I wouldn't want to be running up and down stairs when trying to potty train.

#9 ·
I live in a townhouse with a small yard with two gsd and a siberian husky.. They do great!! Training and exercise is key. Utilize the tools in your community such as, nature trails, bike paths, open fields at parks. The most important thing is being an active owner. Get the dog out and spend time with them. They get bored with the same surroundings and want to be mentally stimulated. Mental stimulation with a german shepherd is key!

#12 ·
It drives me nuts when people insist that they have no room for a dog, any kind of dog because they live in an apartment.

#14 ·
I live in a condo. I've always lived in a condo as an adult (one townhome). I've had up to two dogs and a cat at a time and I did fostering/rescue work with dogs. They did fine. I'm in a nice area and I have a walking path right through the association that leads to forest preserve. I went running with my dogs. I've never had an issue housebreaking or anything else.

And then I look at people who keep their dogs in the backyard where they are bored and whine incessantly. A house with a yard doesn't make a better dog owner. My dogs (now dog) get walked/ran minimum three times a day (usually more). I have to make a commitment to do more than the average person who can just open their dog to let their dog potty.

I also have the ability to work from home. My dogs get the care and attention they need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.