German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   How many is too many... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/416314-how-many-too-many.html)

nikon22shooter 02-25-2014 08:02 PM

How many is too many...

1 Attachment(s)
I'm a huge dog freak. I guess that's my passion and my hobby?

I'm up to three dogs now. And thinking of a fourth. I no longer crate any of my dogs at night anymore and most of the time they all sleep in the bed with me and the fiancÚ. Not always roomy haha

Border Collie 2 years old
GSD rescue 14-16 months old
GSD pup 9 months old

Where do we draw the line on how many is too many.

How many do you have? How many do you think is too many?

Me personally, my great grandparents were in the circus. Right hand up. Lol.

They had 15 dogs at one time. Dozens of chickens. 5 pigs. Countless snakes and boas. Haha

It was always a blast being over there.

I think 4 is a solid number for me.

Attached are my three.

Attachment 184858

shepherdmom 02-25-2014 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon22shooter (Post 5089978)

I'm up to three dogs now. And thinking of a fourth. I no longer crate any of my dogs at night anymore and most of the time they all sleep in the bed with me and the fiancÚ. Not always roomy haha

GSD pup 9 months old

They had 15 dogs at one time. Dozens of chickens. 5 pigs. Countless snakes and boas. Haha

Attached are my three.

Attachment 184858

I had 5, then as seniors died off I was down to just 1. He was lonely. Now I'm back up to 5.

Oldest is 12, then 8 youngest is 16 weeks tomorrow.

selzer 02-25-2014 08:56 PM

It is highly individual.

The thing is, your dogs are young. 16 months and 9 months and even the border collie is a youngster. Adding another young'n, well, the thing is, your dogs are mature yet. As dogs mature, their personality starts setting, and some will find living with dogs of the same sex less tolerable than others. You might find that one of the shepherds is dominant at this point, but give another six months and that baby might decide that it is the top dog in the pack.

And as your pack grows, the chances that nobody is going to have an issue with a newcomer gets less and less.

Too many dogs is the number that you find you can no longer do as much as you would like with each one.

Too many might be when the cost of maintaining them, training, vet, grooming, etc, becomes a strain.

Too many may not be four today, but 10 years from now when the dogs are between 10 and 12, and senior veterinary expenses set in, and you are having incontinance issues, etc. Well, it may be too many then.

There are days when I think two would be great. But then I can't imagine life without this one or that one. At -11 degrees F, having just two would be awesome.

blehmannwa 02-25-2014 10:43 PM

I have had six, mostly 3--down to two. I'm keeping it at two because the dogs are great friends and I don't want to disturb their thing. Both have quirks but they have a great relationship--free access to the house and can be left alone together for six to eight hours with no damage or stress.

I've had littermates in the past and they were great but the GSD and pitbull that I have now are different. They choose to be together, they groom each other but they aren't freaked out by separation.

lennyb 02-25-2014 10:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We currently have two. Diego is 1 1/2 years old and Bandit is 7 months. They are best friends and are almost inseparable. Wouldn't mind another but I think two is just about perfect.

tottie86 02-25-2014 10:52 PM

How many is too many...

My boyfriend and I have 3. Our 2 silky terriers are almost 2 and our gsd pup is 8 months.
3 is our limit!!! (Even though technically we are allowed 4)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Charlie W 02-25-2014 11:41 PM

Your three look stunning, I posted something about how many dogs a while ago, as I've been toying with the idea of adding a third for a while. Some really good advice for and against. I can think of many reasons not to do it, but something in me won't rest until we have no. 3, so we've contacted a breeder and will hopefully have a third GSD in June.

As "Selzer" said "it is highly individual". If you're anything like me, you will be selective and listen to the advice that aligns with what you want deep down!

I say if you have the knowledge, time and finances, then do it..I'm looking forward to the temporary upheaval of a newcomer. Maybe a bit of chaos and a few not so sensible decisions are part of what makes a life interesting, and if a dog gets a great home in the process, then what the heck, it can't be a bad thing!

selzer 02-25-2014 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie W (Post 5091802)
Your three look stunning, I posted something about how many dogs a while ago, as I've been toying with the idea of adding a third for a while. Some really good advice for and against. I can think of many reasons not to do it, but something in me won't rest until we have no. 3, so we've contacted a breeder and will hopefully have a third GSD in June.

As "Selzer" said "it is highly individual". If you're anything like me, you will be selective and listen to the advice that aligns with what you want deep down!

I say if you have the knowledge, time and finances, then do it..I'm looking forward to the temporary upheaval of a newcomer. Maybe a bit of chaos and a few not so sensible decisions are part of what makes a life interesting, and if a dog gets a great home in the process, then what the heck, it can't be a bad thing!

Can't it?

There is a thread going on now about a dog that the people rescued from a family member who abandoned it. They have two dogs and a baby on the way. The third dog is getting into fights with one of their two dogs, and it has some people aggression issues as well. Uhg! Now they have to scramble to find someone to take the dog before the baby is born, or they probably will have euthanize it.

Making life interesting with some not so sensible decisions is fine if we aren't talking about a sentient being that has everything to lose. And bringing in a puppy is not always a better answer either.

Mocha 02-25-2014 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon22shooter (Post 5089978)

GSD pup 9 months old

Attached are my three.

Attachment 184858

I'm the exact same way. Four seems to be the magical number calling my name. I think most people may think that's too many but us dog people don't mind as long as we can handle it :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Charlie W 02-26-2014 12:06 AM

Quote:

Can't it?

Fair point, I suppose it can and often does turn out badly, if it's a decision taken lightly..

I read between the lines that the OP has the knowledge required to deal with 4 and give them all a great home.

But yes, you're right, and let's face it, some people shouldn't have one dog, let alone more :)