GSD bred at 5 months? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2014, 02:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default GSD bred at 5 months?

my boyfriend went out and bought me a GSD pup almost a year ago as a surprise he came with his AKC papers. I didn't realize the mother of the pup was bred so young until today. when I found the pups vet records the mother's DOB was listed on the vet records and it said 7 months which puzzled me I thought it was a typo I called the vet and asked what was the mother's last weight they told me 40lbs confirming she has bred at 5 months. when I asked my boyfriend did he know all this he said no and that the "breeder" said the mother was 90lbs and the father was 120lbs. I have no complaints about my dog he has a nice temperament, high drive and is protective. My question is what do I have to look out for in the future with him as he was born to a young mother and possibly sired by a young father as well?
DogDiva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2014, 03:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'd be concerned about the quality of the breeding overall. "Good" breeders would never breed a dog on their first heat, especially that young. The Dam's personality really hasn't come out yet at 5 months.

I really wonder if there was a typo or some sort of error in the age as 5 months seems to be extremely young on the heat scale. Just going from my own pup who did the heat thing, it was about 3 weeks into her heat before she was receptive to mating...so your dog's Dam could have been as young as 4 months old when she came into heat. I've never heard of a dog that young coming into heat, but I'm certainly not a breeder, so it's possible.

My pup was about 10 months old, give or take a month as she's a rescue, when she came into heat.

I'd be slightly concerned about the overall temperament and future health of the dog when it comes to things like DM or Hip Dysplasia. I'm not saying poor temperament or Hip Dysplasia are unheard of in a "well bred" dog, but you hedge your bet on the side of a healthy dog when you purchase from a "good" breeder.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
Shaolin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014, 04:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for the reply. he seems ok i'm not sure about HD or DM he seems to get around great no problems running jumping or playing. i will take him to have xrays to see if he might have HD.. i just completely shocked when i found those vet records i'm hoping it's a big typo or something i tried contacting the "breeder" no reply yet
Old 02-23-2014, 10:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I would think that someone has made a mistake somewhere. According to AKC, you can't register a dog or a litter from a mother that isn't at least 8 months old.

Quote:
Chapter 3, Section 5 of the Rules Applying to Registration and Discipline reads as follows:
"No dog or litter out of a dam under eight (8) months or over twelve (12) years of age at the time of mating, or by a sire under seven (7) months or over twelve (12) years of age at the time of mating, will be registered unless the application for registration shall be accompanied by an affidavit or evidence which shall prove the fact to the satisfaction of The American Kennel Club."

Carly ~ AKC Champion, GCh pointed, HIC
Sage ~ AKC Ch. pointed (13 pts - chasing that last major), HIC
Russell ~ the big boy
Mimi ~ the meezer
dogfaeries is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014, 11:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dainerra

dogfaeries, all they require is that there is an affidavidt that the young (or elderly) dog is indeed the parent of the litter. Once you send that in, the pups are registered
Dainerra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014, 11:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainerra View Post
dogfaeries, all they require is that there is an affidavidt that the young (or elderly) dog is indeed the parent of the litter. Once you send that in, the pups are registered

I guess I just assumed that most people wouldn't even know there were age restrictions on breeding, and would just fill in the info and send the papers in. But then I would also assume that AKC would catch that, and not register the litter. I'm going with this dog is older than the vet's info!

Russell ~ the big boy
Mimi ~ the meezer
Old 02-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Okay, it's easy enough to solve the mystery. If you want to post the mother's registered name, or just PM me, I'll look it up on AKC. It will have her birthdate, AKC registration number, sex, color, breed, etc. Easy to find.

Russell ~ the big boy
Mimi ~ the meezer
Old 02-23-2014, 12:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dainerra

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
I guess I just assumed that most people wouldn't even know there were age restrictions on breeding, and would just fill in the info and send the papers in. But then I would also assume that AKC would catch that, and not register the litter. I'm going with this dog is older than the vet's info!
AKC just seems them a letter saying "do you swear that this info is accurate? Contact us at...." The breeder calls and someone walks them through the process of what they need to do.

Dainerra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014, 05:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks everyone. I hope there was a mistake made with the vet..but I did look up the sire and dam information on the AKC website they have the mother's DOB as July of 2011 and the father DOB is Sept 2007 also on it had they bred in March 2013 for the first time. My pup was born in April. I thought pregnancies were at least 2 months?
Old 02-23-2014, 06:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogDiva View Post
Thanks everyone. I hope there was a mistake made with the vet..but I did look up the sire and dam information on the AKC website they have the mother's DOB as July of 2011 and the father DOB is Sept 2007 also on it had they bred in March 2013 for the first time. My pup was born in April. I thought pregnancies were at least 2 months?

So good. Not great. She was still under 2. But not 5 months.

Gestation in dogs in about 63 days. So if bred in early march, a late April birthday is possible. But it would be very close.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.