German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Difference between temperament and nerves (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/413482-difference-between-temperament-nerves.html)

Airman1stclass 02-19-2014 08:46 PM

Difference between temperament and nerves

So I will be visiting a breeder tomorrow and I have list of questions to ask him. Some of these questions deal with the dogs temperament and nerves. Though these are topics you need to ask about, it wouldn't do me any good if I didn't really know what they are or what is the difference between the two or what they are supposed to be. If anyone can help with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Castlemaid 02-19-2014 09:45 PM

Here is a great article that helps understand what is menat by temperament and nerve.

A little bit long, but well worth every word! I always say that it should be required reading for all GSD owners, trainers, and wanna-be breeders.

(Elements of Temperament, by Joy Tiz )

Airman1stclass 02-19-2014 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Castlemaid (Post 5052850)
Here is a great article that helps understand what is menat by temperament and nerve.

A little bit long, but well worth every word! I always say that it should be required reading for all GSD owners, trainers, and wanna-be breeders.

Thanks for the article. A lot of good information. It definitely has helped ne understand better.

KathrynApril 02-19-2014 11:45 PM

Quote:

Very interesting read. :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

my boy diesel 02-20-2014 12:22 AM

is threshold a variable
can it be taught or increased
or is it set from birth?

Chip18 02-20-2014 01:57 AM

Quote:

It's getting redundant..but thanks for the great article!:p

Castlemaid 02-20-2014 07:23 AM

LOL Chip, that article is a classic! Never gets old, Always in style, :D .

Castlemaid 02-20-2014 07:32 AM

My boy diesel - threshold is genetic. Something for breeders to try and keep at an optimum level when planning breedings.

With good training and handling and desensitizing, you can help a low threshold dog be less reactive, build its confidence, teach it replacement behaviours, and get some improvement, but it will always be a low threshold dog, and once can't get complacent about that.

High threshold dogs are usually more stable just because their threshold is higher, but depending on their nerve strenght, if harshly treated at a young age, if abusive training methods when still young have been used to make the dog protective (as in, setting up a scenario where a stranger attacks and beats the dog - yes, some people do this), then the dog may become suspicious, fearful, reactive.

Once the dog is older and more mature and mentality stronger, it will be harder to change a confident dog into a more reactive dog.

hunterisgreat 02-20-2014 08:05 AM

Thresholds are genetic but most certainly can be manipulated up or down through training or lack there of, and life experience.