German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   The Other Woman (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/413234-other-woman.html)

Ruff 02-19-2014 11:25 AM

The Other Woman

My girlfriend and I currently own a 10 month old, male GSD. We have had him since he was 5 weeks old. He has already went through obedience training and is housebroken. We want to add a second GSD to our family. Instead of going through a breeder this time, we want to adopt through a rescue organization. We have found an 8 month old, female GSD in particular that has sparked our interest.

This will be our first time adding a second dog to our home. First and foremost, what causes for concern should we have? Do you think their ages and sexes would be compatible? Most importantly, how do we go about the introduction process? Should walking, eating, etc. be separate thereafter?

Thanks ahead of time for your insight!

ayoitzrimz 02-19-2014 11:32 AM

I think you should wait. 10 months is too young still. Why not enjoy this great time with your dog? He will still go through many phases and changes and you should have the time and energy to deal with that.

With that said, I don't know your current situation but if I was in this situation I would wait a few more years and focus on making this dog the best companion I ever had!

Also, how is housing situation? How old are you guys? I only ask because if it is very difficult renting / city living with one GSD it is twice as hard with two.

Someone once told me: going from one dog to two is tough. Going from two to anything else you just need to buy more bowls :)

Also, it is commendable that you guys want to rescue and I have a ton of respect for people who rescue. Just wanted to point that out.

Ruff 02-19-2014 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz (Post 5049106)
I think you should wait. 10 months is too young still. Why not enjoy this great time with your dog? He will still go through many phases and changes and you should have the time and energy to deal with that.

With that said, I don't know your current situation but if I was in this situation I would wait a few more years and focus on making this dog the best companion I ever had!

Also, how is housing situation? How old are you guys? I only ask because if it is very difficult renting / city living with one GSD it is twice as hard with two.

Someone once told me: going from one dog to two is tough. Going from two to anything else you just need to buy more bowls :)

Also, it is commendable that you guys want to rescue and I have a ton of respect for people who rescue. Just wanted to point that out.

Thanks for the reply!

We currently own a large, open home with a fenced yard. Our schedules are opposite from one another, so one of us is constantly home with the dog. Those aspects are not issues for us.

Lauri & The Gang 02-19-2014 11:55 AM

One thing to keep in mind when getting two dogs that are the same age (or close) and young - there is a chance they will bond more with each other than with you.

Personally, I don't have a problem with that but it's something you need to keep in mind.

my boy diesel 02-19-2014 11:55 AM

the age difference ought to be fine
but be aware she may try to
boss him around
usually the girls do!

Ruff 02-19-2014 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lauri & The Gang (Post 5049282)
One thing to keep in mind when getting two dogs that are the same age (or close) and young - there is a chance they will bond more with each other than with you.

Personally, I don't have a problem with that but it's something you need to keep in mind.

Does it cause conflict when trying to train them?

Ruff 02-19-2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my boy diesel (Post 5049290)
the age difference ought to be fine
but be aware she may try to
boss him around
usually the girls do!

What is the best way to handle that situation?

DJEtzel 02-19-2014 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruff (Post 5049322)
Does it cause conflict when trying to train them?

You will want to crate and rotate them more and do one-on-one training with each of them more often/completely separate and limit play until they are older/trained better, for sure.

Ruff 02-19-2014 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJEtzel (Post 5049482)
You will want to crate and rotate them more and do one-on-one training with each of them more often/completely separate and limit play until they are older/trained better, for sure.

Okay. Thanks for the info!