German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Mud, mud, and more mud... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/413154-mud-mud-more-mud.html)

MichaelE 02-19-2014 09:37 AM

Mud, mud, and more mud...

Now that the February thaw is on my backyard has turned into a big soupy mud bog. This was caused by so much playing in the backyard we wore away a lot of the grass in many areas.

Has anyone set up two or three shallow pans or Rubbermaid containers, say around 3" or 4" deep and filled them with water for a 'paw wash' before coming inside?

I believe I'm going to do this. I'm going to buy three of their shallow storage bins that slide under the bed for storage and fill all three with water and walk her through all of them before drying her off.

I'm running out of towels on a daily basis, and I end up looking worse than she did after I dry her off.

Lilie 02-19-2014 09:52 AM

I have a concrete patio. I have black gumbo. The only thing that works for me is a water hose. Anything else the dogs want to play in and it makes even a bigger mud mess. So I make the dogs stand on the patio and I rinse them off.

misslesleedavis1 02-19-2014 10:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 182026

Backyard last summer and what my dog looked like everytime he came in from a pee.

llombardo 02-19-2014 10:19 AM

I'm dreading this:( The containers sound like a good idea. I'll be taking mine out on a leash for a while.

MichaelE 02-19-2014 10:25 AM

That's what we're doing today. I just finished another load of towels.

We are going to walk over to a big tall grassy field not far from here and get some exercise. The back yard is off limits until I get this 'paw wash' system set up.

I can't use a hose under these conditions. It just makes the problem worse.

Lilie 02-19-2014 10:38 AM

You could use a large rubber mat. Have the dogs get on the mat when you are cleaning off their paws. Hondo is a long haired dog. So I've got paws...legs...butt puffs...under belly & tail that all get caked with mud. Only a hose will work. Then I have to towel dry him.

I have a pond and a dog that loves to swim. So I'm have a more difficult time keeping him dry, then I do keeping him de-mudded.

I also keep bath rugs in his kennel. That helps when he isn't all the way dried off.

wolfy dog 02-19-2014 11:41 AM

My routine: rinse off the mud with a hose, jump back as he shakes himself "dry", air dry with the dog's blow dryer or crate time for an hour or so.

Castlemaid 02-19-2014 11:43 AM

February thaw? That sounds like an oxymoron to me . . .

Botox 02-19-2014 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Castlemaid (Post 5049146)
February thaw? That sounds like an oxymoron to me . . .

lol I was thinking the same thing, though I live in Grand Forks, ND. It won't thaw here till late March at best. Then due to all of the sanding I will be in the same boat with the horribly dirty paws. Post on here if your system works I may have to adopt it. :)

TAR HEEL MOM 02-19-2014 12:06 PM

Same issues here and my hose was still frozen last night. I tried to fill a huge dishpan with water but they were having none of it. I just gave up. I figured I willmop come summer when the grass grows back :)