Off topic - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2014, 05:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Off topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
Unfortunately there is no law against breeding. All that can be done is education to prevent people from supporting backyard breeders.
There may not be laws against breeding, but in most cities in CA, you are required to neuter or spay your dog over 4 months. (with a few exceptions for breeders and titled dogs) If you dont you are fined, if you dont pay the fines they can take away your dog. Also you must show proof of vaccinations to the animal control if asked. I remember reading that this dogs parents were not vaccinated. So they probably dont have their required rabies vaccinations resulting in another fine to the breeder.

Last edited by Msmaria; 02-18-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2014, 05:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmaria View Post
There may not be laws against breeding, but in most cities in CA, you are required to neuter or spay your dog over 4 months. (with a few exceptions for breeders and titled dogs) If you dont you are fined, if you dont pay the fines they can take away your dog. Also you must show proof of vaccinations to the animal control if asked. I remember reading that this dogs parents were not vaccinated. So they probably dont have their required rabies vaccinations resulting in another fine to the breeder.
Can you please link me (or pm me! Don't wanna take this off topic) to the laws about this? As far as I knew, the government could not tell us what to do with our property, yet.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2014, 06:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
Can you please link me (or pm me! Don't wanna take this off topic) to the laws about this? As far as I knew, the government could not tell us what to do with our property, yet.
Sure, let me look for it. The cities here in Cali can tell you all kind of things regarding your property. What color you can paint your house, what kind of plants are allowed in your yard etc. It just depends on the city. I just went through this with my own dog. I had to have him neutered at 9 months because I had already paid the first fine, the second was for a $1,000 with a notice they could take my dog.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmaria View Post
Sure, let me look for it. The cities here in Cali can tell you all kind of things regarding your property. What color you can paint your house, what kind of plants are allowed in your yard etc. It just depends on the city. I just went through this with my own dog. I had to have him neutered at 9 months because I had already paid the first fine, the second was for a $1,000 with a notice they could take my dog.
I'm anxious to see how they regulate proper breeding practices.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack's Dad View Post
You two having fun?

This was a thread about a woman who went above and beyond for her
puppy. The puppy just lost his life and you two are interested in the laws regarding BYBs in Calif.

Start a thread.
It's a thread about this dog and where he came from. We're talking about figuring out if there is anything that can be done to stop it from happening again. Not about the woman who owned him.

If you don't want to contribute, don't. We aren't doing anything wrong. Move along.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

http://www.laanimals.org/wp-content/...s-8-16-081.pdf

Since 2008, most other cities in and around Los Angeles and Riverside, San gabriel and Orange Counties ,Calif have adopted the same laws. that is why I asked the OP to check her city.

Heres some threads regarding L.A. on this site. In some cities animal control goes from door to door and if they see any thing that suggests you have a dog, they leave a form requiring you to call and license your pet. If you dont they come out again and again until they fine you.

Game over: Los angeles most pedigree exemptions to mandatory neuter to be removed

Help! Mandatory Spay/Neuter

City of Los Angeles
Old 02-18-2014, 06:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Thank you! Remind me to never move to LA!

*shakes head*

Sounds pretty stringent though- I would think in this case the dogs living outside would have drawn the attention of these agents going door to door and something would have been done, if possible. :-/
Old 02-18-2014, 06:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack's Dad View Post
You two having fun?

This was a thread about a woman who went above and beyond for her
puppy. The puppy just lost his life and you two are interested in the laws regarding BYBs in Calif.

Start a thread.

Lots of threads are like this and I am only answering her questions and giving other threads for her to reference. This is also good info for the OP that unfortunately was not aware of vaccination laws and requirements in her state. She may not be able to get her money back, or the loss of her pup, but maybe stop this from happening again. At least were not taking up space by commenting ridiculous comments.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
She was a real breeder.

Breeders do not earn the title by jumping through all the hoops that this site thinks they ought to. They put a dog together with a bitch and produce a litter of puppies. If she owned the bitch when the litter was conceived, then she is indeed a breeder. Not an artificial breeder, or a breeder once-removed.

What I got from the story was that the breeder was a friend, or a friend of a friend's, who gave the OP a significant break on the price of the puppy because of that. I doubt she knew the puppies had contracted the disease before selling them.

Lots of people minimize the use of vaccines. I think the OP thought that she was out of date with her vaccinations, not that she never had any. I don't know if there is enough to indicate that the breeder did not care at all about her dogs.

This line of discussion is so unhelpful. The puppy is dead. And attempts to use this section of a very sad thread to somehow malign the puppy's owner from purchasing from this breeder, is kind of crappy. Expecting the breeder's owner to go on some type of crusade against this person is also not really thinking about the people involved, but just trying to forward a crusade of your own.

It's kind of like smacking people when their dog develops hip dysplasia for going to a BYB, but what do you do when someone goes to a good breeder and their dog fails the x-ray?
If you feel this line of discussion is unhelpful then why are you adding to it. What makes you feel you should be the only one to comment off subject? Seriously i see so many pots calling the kettle black on this site.
If the breeder was indeed a breeder then then the OP is entitled to a fefund and vet costs per the California puppy lemon law and can go to small claims. I really do agree another tbread should be started in regards to what a real breeder and what a byb or hobby breeder is.

Last edited by Msmaria; 02-18-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Here you go guys, it's all yours.

In the future if you need help with the PM function (which I note was mentioned but not used) or starting a new thread on your own, just ask and we can help.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.