German Shepherds Forum banner

Off topic

3K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  llombardo 
#1 · (Edited)
Unfortunately there is no law against breeding. All that can be done is education to prevent people from supporting backyard breeders. :(
There may not be laws against breeding, but in most cities in CA, you are required to neuter or spay your dog over 4 months. (with a few exceptions for breeders and titled dogs) If you dont you are fined, if you dont pay the fines they can take away your dog. Also you must show proof of vaccinations to the animal control if asked. I remember reading that this dogs parents were not vaccinated. So they probably dont have their required rabies vaccinations resulting in another fine to the breeder.

#2 ·
Can you please link me (or pm me! Don't wanna take this off topic) to the laws about this? As far as I knew, the government could not tell us what to do with our property, yet. ;)

#3 ·
Sure, let me look for it. The cities here in Cali can tell you all kind of things regarding your property. What color you can paint your house, what kind of plants are allowed in your yard etc. It just depends on the city. I just went through this with my own dog. I had to have him neutered at 9 months because I had already paid the first fine, the second was for a $1,000 with a notice they could take my dog.

#5 ·
You two having fun?

This was a thread about a woman who went above and beyond for her
puppy. The puppy just lost his life and you two are interested in the laws regarding BYBs in Calif.

Start a thread.
It's a thread about this dog and where he came from. We're talking about figuring out if there is anything that can be done to stop it from happening again. Not about the woman who owned him.

If you don't want to contribute, don't. We aren't doing anything wrong. Move along.

#6 ·
http://www.laanimals.org/wp-content...sic-Info-Feb-08-Engl.-with-Edits-8-16-081.pdf

Since 2008, most other cities in and around Los Angeles and Riverside, San gabriel and Orange Counties ,Calif have adopted the same laws. that is why I asked the OP to check her city.

Heres some threads regarding L.A. on this site. In some cities animal control goes from door to door and if they see any thing that suggests you have a dog, they leave a form requiring you to call and license your pet. If you dont they come out again and again until they fine you.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...ee-exemptions-mandatory-neuter-removed-5.html

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/current-dog-affairs/140848-help-mandatory-spay-neuter.html

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/current-dog-affairs/111903-city-los-angeles.html

#7 ·
Thank you! Remind me to never move to LA!

*shakes head*

Sounds pretty stringent though- I would think in this case the dogs living outside would have drawn the attention of these agents going door to door and something would have been done, if possible. :-/

#8 ·
You two having fun?

This was a thread about a woman who went above and beyond for her
puppy. The puppy just lost his life and you two are interested in the laws regarding BYBs in Calif.

Start a thread.

Lots of threads are like this and I am only answering her questions and giving other threads for her to reference. This is also good info for the OP that unfortunately was not aware of vaccination laws and requirements in her state. She may not be able to get her money back, or the loss of her pup, but maybe stop this from happening again. At least were not taking up space by commenting ridiculous comments.

#9 · (Edited)
She was a real breeder.

Breeders do not earn the title by jumping through all the hoops that this site thinks they ought to. They put a dog together with a bitch and produce a litter of puppies. If she owned the bitch when the litter was conceived, then she is indeed a breeder. Not an artificial breeder, or a breeder once-removed.

What I got from the story was that the breeder was a friend, or a friend of a friend's, who gave the OP a significant break on the price of the puppy because of that. I doubt she knew the puppies had contracted the disease before selling them.

Lots of people minimize the use of vaccines. I think the OP thought that she was out of date with her vaccinations, not that she never had any. I don't know if there is enough to indicate that the breeder did not care at all about her dogs.

This line of discussion is so unhelpful. The puppy is dead. And attempts to use this section of a very sad thread to somehow malign the puppy's owner from purchasing from this breeder, is kind of crappy. Expecting the breeder's owner to go on some type of crusade against this person is also not really thinking about the people involved, but just trying to forward a crusade of your own.

It's kind of like smacking people when their dog develops hip dysplasia for going to a BYB, but what do you do when someone goes to a good breeder and their dog fails the x-ray?
If you feel this line of discussion is unhelpful then why are you adding to it. What makes you feel you should be the only one to comment off subject? Seriously i see so many pots calling the kettle black on this site.
If the breeder was indeed a breeder then then the OP is entitled to a fefund and vet costs per the California puppy lemon law and can go to small claims. I really do agree another tbread should be started in regards to what a real breeder and what a byb or hobby breeder is.

#12 ·
A real breeder is someone who owns a bitch at the time that conception takes place. It is as simple as that.

There as many definitions for BYB as their are people who understand what the acronym stands for. There is no universally accepted definition to this term.

Hobby breeder is another term that people use that isn't well defined. Some people think professional breeders, or commercial breeders are the ones that should be breeding. Others believe that ONLY hobby breeders should be breeding.

The simple answer is to accept that a person to owns the bitch at the moment of conception is the breeder, whether we are talking about show dogs, police dogs, mongrels, oopses. Doesn't matter. If you own the bitch and she has conceived a litter that was then produced, you are indeed a breeder.

#11 ·
Well this doesn't really make any sense out of context. I'm not sure what the point was.

#16 ·
And to add helping the OP to find a legal way to help recover some costs for this young financially strapped family is in no way asserting our own agenda. I dont have an agenda . Ive helped out when people have set up sites for help financially here and i will do the same information wise whenever I feel like it. As long as im not using foul language or calling people idiots, or lazy etc. I have the right to post and follow whatever agenda I want. (If I did have one, )

#17 · (Edited)
As for the puppy lemon law in California:
1. If the breeder did not sell more than 20 puppies in the year, she is not covered.

2. The breeder is liable to either return the pet for the purchase price/vet bills not more than the purchase price, or keep the pet and get vet costs not more than 150% of the purchase price, or exchange the pup for one that is not sick. In this case $100 or $150 is the max she can get.

Is it truly worth it? If she is a friend? Will she need a lawyer to go after her? Does she want to drag it out and go to small claims court for it? Take over work. What that will do is that will keep it constantly at the forefront of her mind. Sometimes, you just have to move on. $100 to $150 is not going to break or curb the breeder.

#20 ·
Just wondering where u got 20 puppies, because I read two litters in prior year. Yes I understand that it is not much. I guess it has to do with whether 150 makes a difference for her and how far the court is from her home whether shes working full time or not.

#23 ·
who knows where the parvo was picked up
trying to utilize such a lemon law would be fooldhardy
at best
a waste of money at worst
the parvo could have come from birth place
or new home
the dirt impacted in the stomach and intestines
could have come from birth place
or new home either one
the dirt could have easily made
the parvo worse
either way he may have survived parvo
had it not been for the dirt
and that can't be proven where
it originated without some csi like detective
work
so pointless to pursue lemon law

#24 ·
Parvo is very environmental, given the time frame the pup got sick I would say where it was born but not necessarily from mom. It's odd that mom isn't vaccinated and didn't get it herself, but then again she could have been vaccinated as a pup and that was enough. As for laws on spay/neuter..everyday regular people are not smart enough to prevent pregnancy or think is cute to have puppies. Lots of people think it takes away from their manhood, with that thinking I'm all for mandatory spats/neuters. If pet owners can be that stupid then maybe the government should step in. Lots of these shelters are partially funded by government and that gives them the power to do what they want. How else are they suppose to control the pet population? There are so many dogs in shelters everywhere dying everyday, it's sickening and it's all because of people who don't spay/ neuter. Based on the alarming numbers I would have to say there is more of those kinds of people out there then people that do right by their dogs. It's got to start and end somewhere.

#26 ·
I'm all for mandatory spats/neuters. If pet owners can be that stupid then maybe the government should step in.
I know this sentiment is coming from your heart, and you're passionate about the problem. But step back for a second and think abut it: what does altering the animals have to do with it? You know from your own body that it's pretty easy to avoid a pregnancy, and a tubal ligation isn't needed to accomplish that, lol.

I'm not even going to get started on the fact that shelters are importing and shipping dogs by the dozen. My vet is extremely angry about the dogs coming up from down south, because they're bringing up things that our dogs are catching, things that were unheard of years ago.

If the government could mandate "compassion" and "responsibility" instead, then I'd agree with you. Why do so many people dump their pets? I know you couldn't do it and neither could I - although if we had no choice then we'd have to rehome them and I'd rather do that myself and I'd bet you would too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.