German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Cane Corso (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/412826-cane-corso.html)

Jd414 02-18-2014 02:07 PM

Cane Corso

Hello everyone!!

Does anyone have any experience with Cane Corsos? Do they have the same or similar needs as the GSD? Any info you can provide on the breed is appreciated. Thanks!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

GatorDog 02-18-2014 02:10 PM

Totally different type of dog. They are big and strong and I would say that they require a handler of the same. I have met quite a few (upwards of 10-20) and only maybe 2 have had decent temperaments..They seem to be the new breed of choice for the people who used to use Pit Bulls as their breed of choice for the "macho man" appearance.

RubyTuesday 02-18-2014 02:19 PM

I've had 2 friends with Cane Corsos. They loved 'em but would also agree they s/b acquired only when you're certain you want one & can manage it properly. IF so, choose & screen breeders extremely carefully. An improperly bred or raised Cane can be a real menace.

boomer11 02-18-2014 02:25 PM

I think the new macho man breed is the dogo argentino. Talk about a dog you don't want to take to the dog park.

hunterisgreat 02-18-2014 02:29 PM

Very different than a GSD. Most are pretty handler soft, not suitable for work. The ones that can work tend to be rather nasty, IME

Baillif 02-18-2014 02:37 PM

Only trained one as a fairly young puppy. It was fairly thickheaded slow to react to any kind of luring. Liked to lean a lot and was a submissive urinater. Im sure there are better specimens out there.

Nigel 02-18-2014 02:49 PM

Think David Winners has one, might message him if he doesn't see this thread.

David Winners 02-18-2014 02:50 PM

I love mine.

Not a breed for the inexperienced owner. I got Lucian from a shelter. He was surrendered because he was "uncontrollable and aggressive." He's a good dog with a good temperament and very solid nerves. Probably one of the harder dogs I've been around. He is social and not sharp, low thresholds. He can be very civil though. Great with the family now, but he was very pushy when young.

Improper training would have made him dangerous. He's one of those dogs that you don't want to work against. I chose to work with him for the shelter and ended up keeping him because I loved his temperament. I didn't really care what breed he was, and wasn't looking for a dog. We just got lucky.

My experience with other CCs is not very similar. I have met a few very sharp dogs with weak nerves. The kind of dog that looks/acts menacing because it is putting on a show to get you to leave. Not a dog I would own.

Buyer beware because of the breed popularity in less than ethical circles. There are good dogs out there, but you should know what you are looking at when choosing a breeder and dog.

I like them without cropped ears myself.

David Winners

Mister C 02-18-2014 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GatorDog (Post 5044122)
Totally different type of dog. They are big and strong and I would say that they require a handler of the same. I have met quite a few (upwards of 10-20) and only maybe 2 have had decent temperaments..They seem to be the new breed of choice for the people who used to use Pit Bulls as their breed of choice for the "macho man" appearance.

I agree with GatorDog.

I have met 2 Cane Corso's in my life. They are an Italian Mastiff--used as catch dogs, guards. So quite different than the GSDs. Can Corso's are very massive and imposing dogs, not for beginners and must have a very good handler. If you don't have mental control it will be very difficult to obtain physical control--many people cannot throw around 110lbs of solid muscle.

One of the two I know lives just down the street--she is a big goofball of a dog assuming you are comfortable around big dogs. If she detects any fear at all she puffs herself up and tries to intimidate. Fortunately, her owner is quick to rein her in, never lets her off leash and steers clear of problem dogs. Athena (the Cane Corso) is also more interested in dogs than people--most people she completely ignores.

The other Cane Courso I knew was a gigantic male. He loved my GSD female and would ignore everyone else when they got together. My female sensed she had him hooked and used to rough him up during play--he took everything she dished out with a big grin. But she started getting too rough so I had to stop that in case she made him mad one day--he was easily 130lbs versus her 80lbs and I was worried that one day she would push him too far.

Cane Coursos are giant slobber machines too. They drool like crazy and it goes everywhere. The owners I know carry a towel with them at all times to deal with the drool.

If you are seriously considering this breed then I would advise thoroughly vetting the breeder for dogs with good temperaments. Without a solid temperament and good, consistent training these dogs can be nightmares.

David Winners 02-18-2014 03:43 PM

I haven't experienced them drooling much myself.

David Winners