German Shepherds Forum banner

Cane Corso

10K views 39 replies 25 participants last post by  doggiedad 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!!

Does anyone have any experience with Cane Corsos? Do they have the same or similar needs as the GSD? Any info you can provide on the breed is appreciated. Thanks!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#2 ·
Totally different type of dog. They are big and strong and I would say that they require a handler of the same. I have met quite a few (upwards of 10-20) and only maybe 2 have had decent temperaments..They seem to be the new breed of choice for the people who used to use Pit Bulls as their breed of choice for the "macho man" appearance.

#9 ·
I agree with GatorDog.

I have met 2 Cane Corso's in my life. They are an Italian Mastiff--used as catch dogs, guards. So quite different than the GSDs. Can Corso's are very massive and imposing dogs, not for beginners and must have a very good handler. If you don't have mental control it will be very difficult to obtain physical control--many people cannot throw around 110lbs of solid muscle.

One of the two I know lives just down the street--she is a big goofball of a dog assuming you are comfortable around big dogs. If she detects any fear at all she puffs herself up and tries to intimidate. Fortunately, her owner is quick to rein her in, never lets her off leash and steers clear of problem dogs. Athena (the Cane Corso) is also more interested in dogs than people--most people she completely ignores.

The other Cane Courso I knew was a gigantic male. He loved my GSD female and would ignore everyone else when they got together. My female sensed she had him hooked and used to rough him up during play--he took everything she dished out with a big grin. But she started getting too rough so I had to stop that in case she made him mad one day--he was easily 130lbs versus her 80lbs and I was worried that one day she would push him too far.

Cane Coursos are giant slobber machines too. They drool like crazy and it goes everywhere. The owners I know carry a towel with them at all times to deal with the drool.

If you are seriously considering this breed then I would advise thoroughly vetting the breeder for dogs with good temperaments. Without a solid temperament and good, consistent training these dogs can be nightmares.

#5 ·
Very different than a GSD. Most are pretty handler soft, not suitable for work. The ones that can work tend to be rather nasty, IME

#8 ·
I love mine.

Not a breed for the inexperienced owner. I got Lucian from a shelter. He was surrendered because he was "uncontrollable and aggressive." He's a good dog with a good temperament and very solid nerves. Probably one of the harder dogs I've been around. He is social and not sharp, low thresholds. He can be very civil though. Great with the family now, but he was very pushy when young.

Improper training would have made him dangerous. He's one of those dogs that you don't want to work against. I chose to work with him for the shelter and ended up keeping him because I loved his temperament. I didn't really care what breed he was, and wasn't looking for a dog. We just got lucky.

My experience with other CCs is not very similar. I have met a few very sharp dogs with weak nerves. The kind of dog that looks/acts menacing because it is putting on a show to get you to leave. Not a dog I would own.

Buyer beware because of the breed popularity in less than ethical circles. There are good dogs out there, but you should know what you are looking at when choosing a breeder and dog.

I like them without cropped ears myself.

David Winners

#11 ·
I know a lady who owns a Cane Corso ( like DW's dog, a rescue) and a Boerboel. Both dogs are fit, powerful dogs, but of the two I'd say the boerboel is closer in temperament to the Shepherd and is a quick and smart dog to train, the CC is smart too, but very, very different beast. Neither dog is aggressive or fearful, however having said that they are both 'patrollers' of the property line and I would not like to be the person that broke in there. Both are shedders ( the boerboel is worse) and the CC is a bit of a messy drinker/eater. Cropping ears is illegal where these dogs live and both dogs have their tails which is fantastic. Neither dog is what I would consider a dog for an inexperienced owner, but then I -hand on heart- don't think GSDs are either.

#12 ·
I man i worked with owned 2, he said he would never own another breed of dog ever. He did love GSD though, a few things he had mentioned was that his two were not the easiest to house train when they got it they never had accidents, they were watchers but greeted strangers at the door with wiggling butts after he gave them the "ok", Chase also said that they were not so popular so the breed has maintained what it was intended to be.

#13 ·
They should be treated as adults whist they are young, they don't like murmuring to them like all GSDs like, but prefer serious tone. In order to make them obedient you have to play different games with them, of course, teaching your dog to play with you using different objects makes any dog more obedient to the owner, but some breeds are more of juvenile playful behaviour than other breeds. Cane Corso are both: genetically agressive and very playful. You should combine, say, playing ball, with obedience commands - that is the way to train them in order to control agressiveness in the future ("Out", "Stay", "Sit", "Heel" instead of "No"). They are even more protective than GSDs, and, if agressive attitudes in GSD is only a potential which could be or developed, or inhibited completely with certain training, Cane Corso isn't that flexible. Interaction with other puppies is important, preferably non-agressive breeds. I know a woman with Cane Corso bitch, she told me that what I wrote here, but you better register with Cane Corso Forum, this breed isn't easy to train like GSD, it requires a very specific knowledge and general obedience course applied to the majority of breeds before 3 months of age is no good for them.

#16 ·
Cane Corsos are great dogs. One of my co-workers have 2. They are tough dogs to handle. They are strong as anything and have a very very dominant temp about them. However, If they are trained right they can be fantastic dogs. His are both around 160lb males and can be very very menacing but they are 2 of the best trained dogs Ive ever seen. They listen perfectly and can be very family oriented. He has a 4 year old son and hes always in there line of sight.

#17 · (Edited)
My sister has 2 living next door to her, they are horribly aggressive to everyone and the owner has to keep them in a locked kennel, one attacked a family member.

I'm going to duck while I say this, I just don't get the attraction, I find them so unappealing in every way, you couldn't give me one with a lifetime supply of food :O

#18 ·
I've known people that loved them & had very good, well managed examples of the breed. My friends that have them have very solid dogs...Tough minded, vigorous, challenging, but very stable & reliable.

What I'll NEVER understand is when 2 Presa Canarios murdered Diane Whipple some years back the demand for that breed skyrocketed. Sweet bleedin Zeus...HOW can that scenario make anyone say, 'ooooh I want one'.

#19 ·
There is a wonderful CC that I see regularly through dock diving. She is fabulous. Stable, biddable, happy worker for her owner/handler, definitely not as responsive as a GSD, and not to pick on CCs but I wouldn't call them doggy geniuses. I think this is a breed where one wants to be exceedingly cautious about selecting a breeder. Not just to get a healthy and stable dog, but the breed seems to have attracted a skeevy element resulting in a lot of breeders I wouldn't want to work with.

A Presa lives around the corner and down one block from me. I won't even walk that direction anymore. I don't scare easily, but that animal scares the fecal matter out of me. Very predatory and very aggressive. And of course it has an owner who probably shouldn't even own a dog at all. It was freaking adorable as a puppy. Now it just looks like a gargoyle :(

This post has been deleted
#21 ·
I never dealt with a CC myself but I love the Mossler/Bully breeds ,I find them very stable and reliable, if raised properly.

No 18 to 24 month of living with an animal and then, where the Heck did this behaviour come from,stuff like my GSD! When I was having "issues" with my GSD. First attack by my GSD on a pack member, Dominate Male BullMastiff/PittMix,I shouted down my BullMastiff/Pit mix would down while under full assault by my problem child GSD! B/P knew the rules I had assumed GSD did also..my bad!!!!!!!!!!

My B/Pitt never bit me even while under full assault and never attacked another pack member, my GSD did both!

Not doubting a badly raised CC can do some serious damage but unless your totally without a clue a Mastiff breed is a pretty honest dog!

#22 ·
Not sure why someone asking about getting malinois gets more hammered about how they are too much dog, when the cane corso thread is relatively mild.

I believe a cane corso is a potentially deadly dog to people and animals. With the right genetics, and with the right owner AND management, I'm sure they can be great dogs for some people. But the wrong one is a serious liability- and rarely an off-leash or go-everywhere candidate.

#23 ·
I think the "don't get a mal" threads are a bit overkill sometimes, especially on a GSD forum.

I agree that the wrong CC in the wrong hands could be very dangerous or deadly. They are certainly very powerful dogs that do not typically fit the typical Mastiff type mold. Thinking this could definitely leave someone in for a rude awakening. There are major personality differences. Most Mastiff breeds are very handler soft and not bred for aggression.

David Winners

#26 ·
I've been around/taken care of a Presa Canario. O.K. dog I guess. The owner was at least aware of the big responsibility having a dog like that presents but....it's definitely way off my 'wanna have' radar.

Here around the ATL I view them as the rich man's pittie. My typical view (I just saw some at petsmart last weekend, cropped ears and all, to once again validate the following>) is dog, very taught leash, owner(s) being dragged around.

The couple I saw heading into petsmart I gave a wide berth due to the fact that the women probably weighed less then the dog and the dog was already pulling her. If something happened aggression wise the dog would have, for all practical purposes, been free and loose to do as it pleased.

IMO if someone wants to do IPO or some type of protection/bite sport they would have a much better chance at finding a good Rottie breeder and get the 'mastiff' type they want too.

I'd rather have malis. :D

#27 ·
With the popularity of Wild Hog hunting, the CC & Dogos are appearing in great numbers in South Texas. They are taking the place of Pits as catch dogs. I can't say with any personal knowlege if they make a better catch dog or not. But sadly, due to the sudden interest in the dog with game people and the price they can ask for puppies, your getting a lot of folks just breeding the heck out of them. They are even getting a pretty penny for CC & Dogo crosses with just about anything.

If a person was serious about getting one, they better be really serious about finding a good breeder. If a person just wanted to get the breed and spend less, therefore buying from a byb throwing breeds together it will turn out to be a disaster for the breed.

#38 ·
Mastiffs are working dogs and like GSDs, they're happiest when they have something to do.

They're the not the dog content to sit with its owner and watch the world go by. They're a good fit for someone with an active lifestyle.

People should do their homework before they acquire one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.