German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   I think we may have been lied to about our GSD... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/410986-i-think-we-may-have-been-lied-about-our-gsd.html)

Hans_Mom 02-14-2014 10:26 AM

I think we may have been lied to about our GSD...

So we got this sweet little 9 wks old boy recently from a litter of twelve puppies. The mother, a Blue Heeler, was on-site. The father, we were told, was a German Shepherd from across the street (I did not see him). I didn't have any reason to disbelieve the man, seeing as he was a good friend of ours, but I recently visted a relative who owns three GSD's and we were comparing our pup to his (two of his were mostly all black, with one looking like the "standard" GSD with the faded bicolor). I've done some googling and I'm thinking he may not be GSD at all, but instead, perhaps, Rottweiler? I know they have similar markings, but honestly I cannot tell at all... If anybody could take a look and give their input, it'd be greatly appreciated. I'd like to know what my little boy is! Thank you!!

Here is an album with several photos:
imgur: the simple image sharer

GSKnight 02-14-2014 10:29 AM

He is 100% cute!!!

Hans_Mom 02-14-2014 10:35 AM

Thank you, we sure think so too :)

hunterisgreat 02-14-2014 10:36 AM

Could be black and tan with that marking. with a blue heeler mixed in who knows what it looks like. no reason to me to disbelieve its not half gsd

Chris Wild 02-14-2014 10:45 AM

Markings are more GSD than Rottie. I see no reason to disbelieve the GSD/Heeler cross.

Lilie 02-14-2014 10:45 AM

I don't think there is any type of conspiracy regarding the sire to your pup. Your friend most likely, truly thinks the GSD is the father. A bitch can mate to several dogs during her heat cycle. If your friend allowed the bitch to wander the streets while she was in heat, who knows who the sire of your dog truly is.

Galathiel 02-14-2014 10:47 AM

Are there even any rotts in the area? Even if they know that the GSD bred with their heeler, there can be multiple sires to a litter if people aren't careful, which is obviously true in this case. When getting a mixed pup, it's always up in the air how they will look when grown. I would just enjoy him as he is.

ETA: posted at same time as Lilie!

Hans_Mom 02-14-2014 10:51 AM

Thanks everybody for the quick reply. I never questioned him being GSD until my uncle pointed out that he "looks nothing like a GSD and everything like a rottweiler." This is what caused me to wonder if I had been lied to. Sounds like maybe my relative just wasn't sure what he was talking about! I feel a lot better! Thank you everyone!

Gwenhwyfair 02-14-2014 10:58 AM

I agree no matter what, what a cutie!

BTW- Please, PLEASE talk to your friend about having his dog spayed. Too many unwanted dogs in shelters.....as it is. :(

hunterisgreat 02-14-2014 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans_Mom (Post 5021010)
Thanks everybody for the quick reply. I never questioned him being GSD until my uncle pointed out that he "looks nothing like a GSD and everything like a rottweiler." This is what caused me to wonder if I had been lied to. Sounds like maybe my relative just wasn't sure what he was talking about! I feel a lot better! Thank you everyone!

your uncle just doesn't know the coat variations of gsds.