German Shepherds Forum banner

I think we may have been lied to about our GSD...

6K views 37 replies 26 participants last post by  matthewm11 
#1 ·
So we got this sweet little 9 wks old boy recently from a litter of twelve puppies. The mother, a Blue Heeler, was on-site. The father, we were told, was a German Shepherd from across the street (I did not see him). I didn't have any reason to disbelieve the man, seeing as he was a good friend of ours, but I recently visted a relative who owns three GSD's and we were comparing our pup to his (two of his were mostly all black, with one looking like the "standard" GSD with the faded bicolor). I've done some googling and I'm thinking he may not be GSD at all, but instead, perhaps, Rottweiler? I know they have similar markings, but honestly I cannot tell at all... If anybody could take a look and give their input, it'd be greatly appreciated. I'd like to know what my little boy is! Thank you!!

Here is an album with several photos:
imgur: the simple image sharer

#4 ·
Could be black and tan with that marking. with a blue heeler mixed in who knows what it looks like. no reason to me to disbelieve its not half gsd

#6 ·
I don't think there is any type of conspiracy regarding the sire to your pup. Your friend most likely, truly thinks the GSD is the father. A bitch can mate to several dogs during her heat cycle. If your friend allowed the bitch to wander the streets while she was in heat, who knows who the sire of your dog truly is.

#7 ·
Are there even any rotts in the area? Even if they know that the GSD bred with their heeler, there can be multiple sires to a litter if people aren't careful, which is obviously true in this case. When getting a mixed pup, it's always up in the air how they will look when grown. I would just enjoy him as he is.

ETA: posted at same time as Lilie!

#8 ·
Thanks everybody for the quick reply. I never questioned him being GSD until my uncle pointed out that he "looks nothing like a GSD and everything like a rottweiler." This is what caused me to wonder if I had been lied to. Sounds like maybe my relative just wasn't sure what he was talking about! I feel a lot better! Thank you everyone!

#12 ·
I'm a little confused about your question.

"our little GSD"

he can't be -- the mother , who you saw , is on site and is identified as a Blue Heeler . A gsd has two gsd parents .

the sire is possibly the male across the street , who may himself be a mixed breed and not a GSD .

your dog is one handsome, healthy , looks to be socially confident dog without extremes or exaggerations in his sturdy balanced body. Those are good things .

A gsd is not about colour or appearance . There are breed specific characteristics also. Wouldn't be fair nor right to expect the dog to deliver when the dog doesn't have these traits.

If you want to know your dogs paternity , get a kit from DDC Veterinary Animal DNA Testing Services , then take the Q-tip that they provide and ask to get a cheek swab of the dog next door , or another potential sire and submit . They will tell you , just like on Maury Povich -- He is the sire of the pup (or not) .

GSD though , no .

If your friend got premium $$$ selling the dog as a GSD -- that is wrong .

#13 ·
I guess my question was more, "is it possible we have a rottweiler mix instead of the GSD mix we were told?" Whenever we introduce him, he is introduced as a GSD/Blue Heeler mix. In the title I did not include the blue heeler to save character space. However, my intent was not to try and pass him off as one. Instead I was hoping I could get some input from experienced GSD owners whether or not his markings look to be GSD or not, and I think the general consensus has been yes... or at least possibly yes. We love him either way... But, when you say "GSD - no," do you mean you do not see any GSD in him?

#15 ·
He's just saying he isn't pure GSD basically. Don't worry, the rest of us understand where you were going with your OP. As many have stated, he definitely shows plenty of signs of GSD, and the previous owner has no real reason to claim otherwise, so I'd say it's a pretty high chance that he is gsd heeler.

#18 ·
It looks like a Heeler/GSD mix. Depending on the colors of the GSD, you could have the tan chest. Bi color GSDs are pegged as GSD mixes in shelters a lot of times due to the fact they look like Rottie colors. My very first GSD was considered a GSD/Rottie mix due to the coloration, but he had the GSD personality, body structure, and all the other nuances that made me think he was a "pure" GSD over a mix.

Your pup is absolutely adorable, though!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#22 ·
Cute little guy, that probably won't stay little for much longer. Unless it is important for you have a definitive answer of whether or not the sire IS the GSD across the street, I wouldn't worry about it. As for his markings, don't forget that blue ACDs usually have tan markings, similar to what your pup has.

Oh, and make sure you work on bite inhibition. Heelers tend to be VERY nippy, since that's what they are bred to do.

#23 ·
Looks like the puppy pics we were shown of my boy. Red and black GSD, yes, he's got the lab chubb and thyroid, but quite similar to your pup as a pup :) Enjoy him and when he is old enough to display more than common developmental issues, ask somewhere where there are learned folks. This board is not a mixed dog friendly group for the most part, some members, but the wading through other stuff might scare you off. Do some reading here, educate yourself and ask questions privately of those members you trust and know what they speak, typically they are more than willing to answer newbie questions.

#29 ·
I'd say there's a VERY good chance the dog is more Rott than GSD (with the Heeler of course).
The bone structure is so far off from a rott, I fail to see how you can say it's a VERY good chance. There was a gsd across the street, and no mention of a rott in the neighborhood(I know dog's get around). The color patterns are just as similar to a mix of heeler and gsd as they are rott, but the structure is much more gsd than rott.

Yes there may be a chance of rott instead of GSD, but there's nothing that rules out the GSD/heeler mix, the only breeds that were definitely present.

As far as why this discussion might matter to the OP, there are several possible reasons.
The only reason that is really needed: Curiosity.
Another possible reason: Maybe the breeder guaranteed the gsd mix and the OP has some aversion to rotties.

#26 ·
the mother is a Blue Heeler and the father is in question.
you have a mix. what difference does it make?

So we got this sweet little 9 wks old boy recently from a litter of twelve puppies. >>>>> The mother, a Blue Heeler,<<<<<

was on-site.

>>>>>The father, we were told, was a German Shepherd from across the street (I did not see him).<<<<<

I didn't have any reason to disbelieve the man, seeing as he was a good friend of ours, but I recently visted a relative who owns three GSD's and we were comparing our pup to his (two of his were mostly all black, with one looking like the "standard" GSD with the faded bicolor). I've done some googling and I'm thinking he may not be GSD at all, but instead, perhaps, Rottweiler? I know they have similar markings, but honestly I cannot tell at all... If anybody could take a look and give their input, it'd be greatly appreciated. I'd like to know what my little boy is! Thank you!!

Here is an album with several photos:
imgur: the simple image sharer

#28 ·
Except you don't actually know. So conjecture is pointless unless they were more careful with the female than it appears. As the pup grows, THEN it will probably become more apparent. Young pups can change so much as they mature, particularly mixes.

#31 ·
"I am just overwhelmed with wanting to know everything about my dog! " moreso than the breeder !

you can't know -- for all anyone knows the mother may not be a blue heeler either , nor the alleged sire a pure gsd .

this is a good looking strong healthy looking dog , American street pup .

if you want to find out get a cheek swab of the potential sire and send it off to the lab I recommended . You will need sire and or alternate sire , dam (not critical) and your pup's samples .
The breeder is your friend , have them approach the neighbour.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.