German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Is the standard breed size (bitch in my case) is standard (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/410698-standard-breed-size-bitch-my-case-standard.html)

gsdemack 02-13-2014 01:44 PM

Is the standard breed size (bitch in my case) is standard

Then, how can she strike physical fear into another person if required.

The bigger ones do of course - but everyone is more or less friendly to my dog. One person even said the last day "she didn't grow that big, I suppose she is a bitch though)

I know she can jump, move fast easier but I'm not sure people realize this....she is 14 months old and her frame is more or less as large as it's going to get....

If you find that you don't have a similar response with your dog can you explain why that might be?

Thanks.

JakodaCD OA 02-13-2014 02:45 PM

I am really not sure what your asking or saying? Repeat please:)

Liz&Anna 02-13-2014 02:47 PM

Hmmm I actually prefer a bit on the smaller side. They move better-faster and further that way. I'm actually hoping my girl doesn't go above 60 though I'd much rather have her 50 or even 55. I know it's out of my control lol. Id consider a smaller shepherd a good thing

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

SuperG 02-13-2014 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsdemack (Post 5016434)
Then, how can she strike physical fear into another person if required.

Strictly on superficial characteristics ?? I guess I am confused as well....oh well...I get that way rather often.

SuperG

MiaMoo 02-13-2014 03:31 PM

Are you asking why the standard size is too small to look threatening? I am confused.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Cassidy's Mom 02-13-2014 04:58 PM

I'm confused too. The thread title: "Is the standard breed size is standard" doesn't actually make any sense, so it's hard to know what the question is.

doggiedad 02-13-2014 05:30 PM

i think the OP is saying his dog is smaller and doesn't intimidate
people. sounds like the OP has a nice friendly dog.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom (Post 5017858)
I'm confused too. The thread title: "Is the standard breed size is standard" doesn't actually make any sense, so it's hard to know what the question is.

Galathiel 02-13-2014 06:06 PM

I think the initial "Is" in the title should be "If" ... at least makes more sense that way .. :)

And a 60 lb dog barking and bristling can look quite intimidating. Heck, anything about 20 could 'grin' When my boy bristles, he looks MUCH bigger as his hair is longer on his back between his shoulder blades.

Freestep 02-13-2014 06:15 PM

An 18 lb. Lhasa Apso will strike more fear into my heart than a 140 lb. GSD. Size has very little to do with intimidation factor.

doggiedad 02-13-2014 06:26 PM

i think size has a lot to do with intimidation. i'm not sure how a 18 lb
dog is intimidating compared to a 140 lb dog. 18 lbs, 140 lbs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freestep (Post 5018234)
An 18 lb. Lhasa Apso will strike more fear into my heart than a 140 lb. GSD.

Size has very little to do with intimidation factor.