German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Few questions about my puppy - first time shepherd owner (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/410346-few-questions-about-my-puppy-first-time-shepherd-owner.html)

Gretsch59 02-12-2014 07:10 PM

Few questions about my puppy - first time shepherd owner

I am a first time German Shepherd owner but not first time dog owner,

My last two dogs i had from pups at around 8 weeks, however after my last dog passing away at the age of 16, i decided to get another dog, A friend who was doing some development work locally told me of some pups, I went to view and fell in love with the last pup

She was 13/14 weeks old, such a cute little girl, and decided to take her home, the problem was she was living in the garage and was so shy, didnt have contact with other people and dogs.

I have had her 2 weeks now, and she has settled in really well at home and follows me like a shadow. She is eating great (raw diet) however I have found shes really shy and scared. She is shy and scared of people, distracted by the sound of cars etc.. she is great with my girlfriend, but not our friends, like to growl and bark, she doesnt seem interested in walks and she sleeps a lot. I guess just being patient will solve it all, and guesing its hjust a phases shes going through? anyone experianced the same

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...b210565b68e152

zyppi 02-12-2014 07:23 PM

Sweet pup!

Have you had her checked out by vet?

FirefighterGSD 02-12-2014 07:26 PM

Such a pretty Sable! I'd get vet work done (if needed) and then enroll in the next available training class you can find that's reputable.

SuperG 02-12-2014 07:44 PM

Great looking pup and good for you for saving her from an isolated garage.

Wish I had some solid advice...but I usually just shoot from the hip with questions like this....getting the once over by the vet sounds like a good idea and so does the class enrollment. I was always led to believe pups need to meet the world at a young age, experiencing what they will be dealing with on a daily basis for years to come and the key is to teach the dog to deal with the world with confidence. I also have this notion that a savvy confident guide/leader introducing the pup to the world is somewhat paramount. I'd bet your dog is going to really come to love you being her confident leader. I also know it's easy to screw up at times, since I did....but as I always like to say .." ever time I am wrong, I have an opportunity to become one bit smarter if I choose". There is a world of info out there which is available on your situation and it's great that it is there....a great example is this forum. I will assume some folks who have great understanding of this type of situation you describe will post and help you get started.

By the way your pup looks awesome,

SuperG

David Taggart 02-12-2014 08:10 PM

Everything is normal. She can be shy, because she is young to stand for herself, aquire a blocking posture between her and other dog by crouching slightly in fron of her. But, do not pet ( nothing rewarding for fearful behaviour), just try to calm her with loving low voice. Try to find a puppy park, or someone with a puppy of her age. Puppy behaviour is different from grown up dog, though a friendly small breed could be good too. Be afraid of her being abused by adult dogs before she's 6-7 months, like in children, early experience stays for life. It is characteristic to GSD to be unsure of strangers, especially in their own house, do not let strangers to pet her on her head - a hand stretched forward and a look straight into eyes both are signs of agression for dogs, they read it differently than us, the primates. Take her to busy places, like parks, you can walk her through the shopping centre. Don't be afraid to do that time to time, she wouldn't be scared if she cannot concentrate on anything in particular. Say "Sorry" to people who want to touch her. That are exactly isolated objects she can see avvancing or in the distance would appear dangerous for her. She doesn't like to walk because walks are associated with fear. Introduce pleasure into walks: do not feed before walking, take some tasty treats with you. Make her busy instead of just walking ("Sit", "Down", "Come" on a long 6 feet leash, "Look at me" - and always reward). Get a good ball for her and for your night play When you start noticing that she gains some confidence, ask her "Do you want walky?" before you start dressing. It is important to keep a record on her, start writing a diary on your puppy. Specify in words her reactions, her responses to rewards from the very start of her training, you would be very thankful to yourself for doing it, without looking back it is very difficult sometimes to estimate the progress. And, it is not too early to start Obedience Classes for her socializing with humans and other dogs. They will tell you how to socialize her with children, cats and other animals.

Shepnut 02-12-2014 08:51 PM

Really- that is a beautiful looking pup!

Get her checked by a vet for a puppy wellness visit. Has she any shots or treatments thus far by you or the breeder? Start her file or binder on her health and keep observations of her written down here.

You may want to get her into a puppy training class right away. OR she may be the kind of dog that will only bond and be interested in you and your family to the exclusion of other humans and dogs. This is fine too. No matter what, YOU NEED TO TRAIN YOUR DOG TO BE OBEDIENT so that her behavior is never a menace in the future. Consider this your mission.

Do not FORCE her to socialize with people or dogs as this could counter your intentions. Introduce her incrementally to situations for socialization. Try to allow her to approach people or dogs off of your property to begin with. Some gsds are very territorial from an extremely early age.