German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Playmate for my 14 month old gsd (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/410106-playmate-my-14-month-old-gsd.html)

gsdemack 02-12-2014 08:41 AM

Playmate for my 14 month old gsd

She is female and needs constant stimulation while she is awake (I mean constant)...

I'm thinking of rescuing something more mature but also with high energy!

Any ideas for breeds?

Thanks.

LoveEcho 02-12-2014 09:06 AM

Getting a second dog to entertain the first dog is generally a terrible idea. Especially another high-energy dog. They don't entertain each other as much as you would think- instead you're going to have TWO high energy dogs to deal with, twice the training... twice the headache (especially when the first is still a puppy). It sounds like a boredom issue, but another dog is only going to exacerbate the problem. Work on your current dog- the general "rule of thumb" is to only entertain the idea of getting a second when the first is mature and training is down pat.

LaRen616 02-12-2014 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveEcho (Post 5009130)
Getting a second dog to entertain the first dog is generally a terrible idea. Especially another high-energy dog. They don't entertain each other as much as you would think- instead you're going to have TWO high energy dogs to deal with, twice the training... twice the headache (especially when the first is still a puppy). It sounds like a boredom issue, but another dog is only going to exacerbate the problem. Work on your current dog- the general "rule of thumb" is to only entertain the idea of getting a second when the first is mature and training is down pat.

:thumbup:

shepherdmom 02-12-2014 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsdemack (Post 5009042)
She is female and needs constant stimulation while she is awake (I mean constant)...

I'm thinking of rescuing something more mature but also with high energy!

Any ideas for breeds?

Thanks.

If you want and can afford a second dog, go for it. Take your dog with you to an all breed rescue and let her choose what she wants in a companion. :)

carmspack 02-12-2014 09:31 AM

the pet for the pet .
get involved and do some fun activity together

zgil86 02-12-2014 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shepherdmom (Post 5009210)
If you want and can afford a second dog, go for it. Take your dog with you to an all breed rescue and let her choose what she wants in a companion. :)

:thumbdown:

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

carmspack 02-12-2014 09:43 AM

two thumbs down .

LaRen616 02-12-2014 09:46 AM

Three thumbs down and the icon :thumbsdown:

stmcfred 02-12-2014 10:01 AM

Don't get another dog simply to occupy the first dog.
Now, if the first dog is completely trained and YOU want another dog (for you, not to be an entertainer) then I don't see an issue. But getting a pet for a pet is ridiculous and will only create more problems.

shepherdmom 02-12-2014 10:02 AM

Dogs like doggie companions. Thumbs down me all you want. There are lots and lots of people out there who have the love, time, financial resources, to devote to more than one dog and do. I bet if you took a poll of all of us on here most of us have more than one dog.

An experienced owner is looking to rescue and you are discouraging it? It makes no sense.