German Shepherds Forum banner

Can you identify the bark?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  havery 
#1 ·
#2 ·
as much time as I spend with my 3, I know whos here by the barks, post office, ups, fedx, a customer, or friends, what was really cool this past summer, my trainer came of to pick up something, first time hes ever been here, I was outside talking to a customer and all three were barking, as soon as Dan got out of his vehicle, dead silence, I couldn't believe it, neither could my customer, hes been here before and knows how much they bark, not a peep

#4 ·
Can you describe the bark? What causes the bark? High pitched or deep bark? Maybe we can help you figure it out.
I'll see about shooting a video.

It happens most frequently when they go out to the back in the morning. Rocky is pretty much ready to play. Max and Lady are pretty mellow. They mostly do their business, drink water and, yes, play, but not very rough. At least not in the morning. Rocky generally goes for Lady by grabbing her from the top of the neck. Not biting down, just lightly grabbing her with his mouth. Lady let's him understand she wants none of it. At that point he will pace around in a wide circle around Lady and Max and bark.

I interpret it as "why won't you play with me?" frustration. It's annoying as heck. I won't let it extend past a couple of barks in the early AM out of consideration for the neighbors. I grab him and bring him in the house. The other two dogs stay in the back and play. Rocky's barking does not continue inside the house.

He does the same bark if I have him meet and greet a dog during a walk and the other dog snips at him.

Again, I'm looking at this as him being a pushy youngster who just wants to roughhouse. When the other dog or dogs refuse he barks to complain.

The other side of this is that I want to try and figure out how to teach him not to bark like that. Maybe it's just a matter of time, but it sure is annoying.

He does not bark at anything else. I often work in the garage with him tied down. He watches cars, bikes, skateboards, people and dogs come and go and not a sound.

#5 ·
Yep I know the:-

- 'postman's putting something in our letterbox again' bark
- 'dog that lives behind us is walking with his owner in front of our house' bark
- 'dog that lives up the road is walking in front of our house' bark
- 'someone is trying to get through our front gates' bark
- 'there is a bad man walking on our property and I must stop him' bark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.